Training routes near Cape Town for Trans Baviaans

LZac

Hi Hubbers

Does anyone have suggestions for Trans Baviaans training routes near Cape Town (within 45min's drive)?

I did most of my training last year on the peninsula because it was convenient, but I would like to start throwing in some more district road if possible.

Thanks a lot!

Start in Durbanville (VA is a good spot to park) and head towards Malmesbury, Riebeek Kasteel, Wellington, Paarl and back to the start. If you look on google maps there are loads of dirt roads that you can ride to create a mostly dirt road loop. Make sure you include the road up to the Paarl Mountain nature reserve. Those roads get very little traffic and are fantastic to ride. 

Hi

I've had the same difficulty in the past raining for Trans Karoo, Trans Baviaans and 100 Miler.

It's a bit more than 45min (depending on where you live), but I've found it to be perfect.

Use Riebeek Kasteel as your starting point, you can basically hit most of the district roads out there and get a decent 4/5 hours in on the right kind of surface.

Once trained exclusively on the road for TK and had great leg speed but got hammered by not training for the corrugations.

I believe there are some routes on Strava, if that helps.

The stretches of road linking Grabouw and the surrounding farm areas are perfect.

We train for EA there.... One can link up hundreds of KM with almost no tar.