2017 Scalpel SI play in rear wheel - Advice needed

wazriley

Hi All, 

Ive picked up some play in my rear wheel and there is also a clicking sound when putting down the acceleration/power when sprinting.

Its hard to pinpoint where the exact sound is coming from, but it seems it could be from the top pivot axle. If the pivot axles are not correctly lubed could this be causing the noise and play in rear wheel?

If its not the pivots I thought it may be the hub bearings or something to do with the hub end caps? 

The rear wheels axle is tightened according to spec so that is definitely not where the play is originating from. 

I am taking it into my LBS for a thorough look through next week but was more interested if anyone has seen or experienced something similar ? 

IMG_1335_converted.wmv

Difficult for me to see anything in the video, but it looks as though the rim is hitting the chain stay, so most probably something in the hub. Good luck with getting it sorted!

Hi there,

I couldn't download the video, but just from what you say, it sounds like the bearings in the hub, This happened to me, the clicking i had was the cassette trying to line up, but with the movement in the wheel it was battling to do so. especially if the axle is tightened, and there is side movement in the whole wheel. I replaced my own bearings, as i like to play :-) Problem solved.

Problem solved ! Took the rear triangle apart, cleaned and lubed all the pivots and through axles and put back together again . No more noise, no more play and bike feels amazing. This is a 6 month old bike and I'm convinced the LBS did not check and lube pivots before delivery , definetly a lesson learnt

Are the pivot bearings sealed bearings?

Will applying lube on a sealed bearing not attract dust on a later stage?

Interested to year if your problem would be still gone after 100km

I had the same issue. When I removed the cassette the hub fell apart in my hands. Cleaned it all, re lube and tighten the hub correctly. That helped a lot.

My cranks were not at the correct torque and were creaking on the axle. Remove clean and torque fixed that. Remove clean and re install all pivot bearings, re torque everything. Pull your derailed hanger and grease that interface as well.

The chain contacts the frame protector when in the 10 tooth so may emit a sound.

I have the SI carbon 2 with the SRAM 10/ 42.

I bought both parktool torque wrenches that I need to work on the bike and I can only recommend the investment. Once correctly assembled the bike is quick and quite comfortable.

Note the cannondale tech bulletin calls for the bearings to be installed with a retaining compound rather than grease.