Replacement wheels

cliff_ross

i Would recommend Spank or WTB, I have Spank Trails on my Epic with Pro 4's and no problems at all. On my SS i have pro 4's with WTB KOM, s and also no problems at all. Plenty of km on both bikes. On my VIPA i have ECC hubs with KOM rims and all are laced with double butted spokes.  Cheaper option but so far very reliable.

Very Nice, but so much for not robbing the bank...

(You can also look at the Nextie carbon rims which are very similar)

Edited by greatwhite

Very Nice, but so much for not robbing the bank...

(You can also look at the Nextie carbon rims which are very similar)

Yeah in fairness it'll work out a bit more than the Stans Flow or Spank options, but you'll be getting a bombproof carbon wheelset for less than half the price Spez want for their Roval Carbon equivalent.

Edited by Two-Stroke

Yeah in fairness it'll work out a bit more than the Stans Flow or Spank options, but you'll be getting a bombproof carbon wheelset for less than half the price Spez want for their Roval Carbon equivalent.

Not disputing that at all - went a similar route myself: Put Nextie rims onto my Syncross (DT) hubs after I pretzelled one of the original aluminium rims, but at the lions share of R3k/rim landed they are hardly cheap (unless you compare to Roval carbon, which IMO are overpriced).

If you are a big guy, don't go with the lightest rim you can find. The problem you described with the cracks around the spoke holes/eyelets is cyclic fatigue. The heavier you are the more this problem becomes evident.

The Hope Pro 4s are very nice robust hubs, but not super light, so it would be a bit silly to team them up with super light rims which aren't robust and difference between a strong rim and a light rim is, say, 100g.

Importantly, get a decent wheel builder to build up with double butted spokes (the narrower center section of the spoke mitigates fatigue issues and saves a bit of weight for free) and brass nipples.

Having said this, you said in your OP that 'Do not want to have to rob a bank.' [/size] Hope Pro 4s are going in that direction and by the time you have finished you will be looking at a wheelset in excess of R7k, I would guess with the flow mk3 or spank 345s mentioned above, more like in R9k. I'm not sure what type of bearing arrangement you have on your Roval hubs, but if they have cartridge bearing, just clean up the engagement system on the rear hub and replace the bearings all round and then build into new rims and spokes - probably half the price.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm definitely not a heavy weight, only 72kg.

The cartridge bearing have just been replaced so at this stage my thinking is to look for a really good set of rims and then have them laced to the existing hubs which I can replace at a later date..

I going to have a look at speaking to a wheel builder and see what suggestions they may have with the option of having a really good set of wheels a year from now.

Any recommendations for a wheel builder in the Stellenbosch/Somerset West area?

FYI, can get a set of FLOW MK3 with Hope PRO 4 hubs from CWC for R 6900,00