Ultegra 6600 10 speed RD shifter problem

Nanogram

Good day all,

I recently got given a Merida Ride Lite bike and want to start getting back into cycling.

these are the specs:

-2012 Marida Ride Lite Juliet (I know its a woman's bike but im 5'8')

-Shimano 105 5500 Crank,RD,FD,Brakes

-Shimano Ultegra 6600 flight deck 10speed Shifters

-10 speed cassette (not sure which one)

I know its a mix and match of components but I am having an issue with the right shifter. The shifter does not engage while trying to shift up the cassette. The lever just moves freely without clicking, I am wondering if this can be fixed at all or if anyone knows some trick to get it working again without having to replace it as I am a student and simply can't afford R3k for replacement shifters. I have tried spraying some Q20 into the shifter to try and see if it might have been clogged up but that doesn't seem to be working. Should I take the shifter off and soak it in some degreaser or something of that sort?

Good day all,

I recently got given a Merida Ride Lite bike and want to start getting back into cycling.

these are the specs:

-2012 Marida Ride Lite Juliet (I know its a woman's bike but im 5'8')

-Shimano 105 5500 Crank,RD,FD,Brakes

-Shimano Ultegra 6600 flight deck 10speed Shifters

-10 speed cassette (not sure which one)

I know its a mix and match of components but I am having an issue with the right shifter. The shifter does not engage while trying to shift up the cassette. The lever just moves freely without clicking, I am wondering if this can be fixed at all or if anyone knows some trick to get it working again without having to replace it as I am a student and simply can't afford R3k for replacement shifters. I have tried spraying some Q20 into the shifter to try and see if it might have been clogged up but that doesn't seem to be working. Should I take the shifter off and soak it in some degreaser or something of that sort?

Shimano parts are not really serviceable compared to Campag. You can try take it apart, but I had one die on me and the pawl was dead, no amount of lube was going to help it. 

Best bet is to keep eye on classifieds.

Check the cable tension, in fact replace the cable, they are cheap.  See if that resolves the issue, before you start dismantling or looking for a new shifter.

Flush the shifter with carb/brake cleaner.  Best to remove the shifter and rubber hood first. Then flush with Q20 or the like.  I then blow out with compressed air but not really necessary.  Lube with a few drops of oil.  If that does not sort it replace.  The 6700 shifters should work fine with the 6600 RD.

Thanks all who helped! and I managed to fix it! the stripped the shifter and saw the pawl shaft was slightly worn and the pawl had play and was not able to disengage the gear inside the sifter so spent 4 hours with a needle file filing down the pawl a few thousandths and i eventually got it right!