[Event] Gravel & Grape

Events Bot

Event Name: Gravel & Grape
When: 4 May 2018 - 6 May 2018
Where: ATKV Goudini Spa (Worcester), Western Cape
Category: MTB

The fourth annual Gravel & Grape Extreme 3-day is taking place from 4-6 May 2018.

Featuring some of the gnarliest singletrack in the country, the Gravel & Grape Extreme is an event that takes mountain biking back to it’s roots. With challenging technical riding, the Extreme is best suited for riders with a sense of adventure and a well-stocked arsenal of rock-hopping, berm-bending, switchback-sizzling talent. The distances, for day 1, 2 and 3 respectively, are 69km, 68km and 50km.

The Gravel & Grape Mountain Bike Events are the ideal windows into the world of the Breedekloof Valley. Stunning views, bountiful wine farms, green valleys and abundant nature are the rewards for riding the Gravel & Grape. After riding, take the time to explore this stunning region.

Participating in the Gravel & Grape is the best way to experience the valley and region; the riding is beautiful, unique and exciting. While the region is all that and more.

By involving a number of wine farms into the race, each day offers something different, from the highest peaks to the lowest valley floors.

As it is for the region’s famed chenin grapes, so it will be for the Gravel & Grape riders – on the lower regions of valley the soil is sandy with gigantic river pebbles, while higher up you find broken rock and sandstone. To help you through it all will be the expertly carved trail.

This is an event that will test you, but will also provide warm hospitality and the opportunity to indulge in the regions award-winning wines after each day’s riding.

The route has been crafted to reflect the rugged nature of the Slanghoek Valley, but also to show its gentler side. Stunning views, unique scenery, and three days of pure mountain biking will leave you gasping for more.

The Gravel and Grape Extreme is also a showcase of the regions hearty country food, majestic mountains, vineyards and sparkling rivers.

The hot springs of ATKV Goudini Spa, stunning Fynbos and hospitable people make this an event like few others. The Breedekloof Wine Valley is just one hour from Cape Town, and includes Rawsonville, Slanghoek, Goudini & Breerivier.

The race is a clover leaf, with each day starting and ending at Goudini Spa, making your overnight experience one to remember.

Entry Fee Includes:

• 3 Days of Magnificent Mountain Biking along world class routes in the Breedekloof Wine Valley
  • All Lunches (Friday, Saturday & Sunday)
  • Free Bike Wash Daily
  • Waterpoints with food and drinks
  • Great Race Pack with race apparel
  • Medical support on and off route
  • Free Wine Tasting at the venue
  • Finisher Medal
  • Land/Nature Reserve access permits
  • Lead and Sweep vehicles/bikes

Go to Event Page

So does that mean this is a bucket-list or favourite race to do ?

More bucket list. Seems to be a good value for money event.

In my experience good value for money races inevitably either become expensive or they disappear - the goodness never last... 

So want to ride it next year.

More bucket list. Seems to be a good value for money event.

In my experience good value for money races inevitably either become expensive or they disappear - the goodness never last... 

So want to ride it next year.

Looking at the budget for next year so might also do it, and looking what other race it will replace

• 4 months later...

is this suitable for beginner pls?

Welcome to Hub land..Given the one day ride in did in the area, I would say no to doing the extreme, but there is the lite,(2days)  which is about 35km a day and sounds very doable.. another event to consider is the Houw Hoek 2 day, its not timed and very relaxed but has a little more distance and climbing, so depending on where your at really.

Enjoy what ever you decide  :thumbup:

Hi Sibyl - Haven't done the event myself but from the people I spoke to I gather the 3-day "extreme" event is tougher than what the route profile & climbing meters suggest.

I agree with T-bag, maybe the shorter adventure/lite is a better option for someone new to the sport.

• 2 weeks later...

ive got an entry available for R2000 if anyone is interested or R4500 for bot entries. 3 day extreme. message me if interested.

Wow - tough 60km's today. In my defence did a through-the-night charity ride on Saturday/Sunday and quite clearly haven't recovered yet.

Small field is a bit disappointing given that this is a proper mtb'ing event for cheap at a nice venue. Looking forward to the next 2 days  :thumbup:

Wow - tough 60km's today. In my defence did a through-the-night charity ride on Saturday/Sunday and quite clearly haven't recovered yet.

Small field is a bit disappointing given that this is a proper mtb'ing event for cheap at a nice venue. Looking forward to the next 2 days  :thumbup:

Really hope that they are still there next year as I would love to do it.

Really hope that they are still there next year as I would love to do it.

I hope so, lets see. Had a great weekend, trails are awesome. Only reason I can imagine this event is not pulling enough entrants is lack of marketing, from a pure mtb'ing perspective they are doing everything right.

I hope so, lets see. Had a great weekend, trails are awesome. Only reason I can imagine this event is not pulling enough entrants is lack of marketing, from a pure mtb'ing perspective they are doing everything right.

That and you have two other races on the same day, one being the mini w2w

Wonder if you add up all 3 how many participants were involved, the houw hoek is a bit difficult as there is no timing done

Tough terrain but I'd say very clsoe the best MTB stage race in the country in terms of route and course marking. It was hard on a hardtail :)

That and you have two other races on the same day, one being the mini w2w

Wonder if you add up all 3 how many participants were involved, the houw hoek is a bit difficult as there is no timing done

Good point, but this time of the year you are going to clash with other events no matter what weekend you chose + I would imagine there are enough mtbers around to sustain more than one event.

Curious to me how many I know who ride w2w anually also opted for the mini-w2w this weekend. Am I the only one who likes a bit of variety when choosing events?