youngsters depart for europe

Void2

Originally posted by Mushy:

I think education should come before any thing els!!!

You mean 'else' right?

ClapClap

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kingjreid for a youngster you are very wise. And your spelling is certainly above average compared to your peers. Well done and good thinking!

why thank you cling

who am i to talk, i'm going on internation exchange for a whole term at the end of this year....

kingjreid, I'm not saying an education isn't important. It is. I'm just asking how many 18-year-old school leavers know exactly what they want to be/do for the rest of their adult lives. An extra year or two of school to accommodate the talented young athletes/artists who get talent-building opportunities like this abroad isn't such a bad thing. I went to the army for two years after school (I was 17 when I completed matric) and used that time to improve my cycling and decide exactly what career I wanted to pursue. I then studied journalism and am still working in that field, thoroughly enjoying what I do.

Agreed Sean

But why not finish school and then spend two years doing what you suggest? They can even spend those years cycling to see if this is a life they really want?

and - Wink - you want to change that to Jill Bezuidenhout?

kingjreid' date=' I'm not saying an education isn't important. It is. I'm just asking how many 18-year-old school leavers know exactly what they want to be/do for the rest of their adult lives. An extra year or two of school to accommodate the talented young athletes/artists who get talent-building opportunities like this abroad isn't such a bad thing. I went to the army for two years after school (I was 17 when I completed matric) and used that time to improve my cycling and decide exactly what career I wanted to pursue. I then studied journalism and am still working in that field, thoroughly enjoying what I do.

[/quote']

thats all great and stuff, but the lure and attraction to trying to make it big time is very, very tempting, especially if you are talented. If the guy/girl gets a couple of good results, they are sucked into thinking that cycling is easy and that they are good. thats wrong, and cycling is really, really hard.

Furthermore, I somehow think life is different from when you were at school. Being a white male in this country nowadays with no degree/qualification whatsoever is not a position i would like to be in, no matter how much i love the sport...

I would be surprised if the U16's are away for so long (normally about 2 weeks). Jill has been doing this for years. In the past they have ridden the Kerry Tour in Ireland. The juniors normally race the McDonelly tour and then spend time racing the Holland/Belgian Junior circuit. It's more about the kids experiencing racing in those conditions where the roads are narrow, the riders uncompromising and the pace hard. The juniors get an opportunity to experience the scene for a bit longer to see if it's for them. A few weeks away in gr9, 10 or 11 is not going to make a big difference.

Originally posted by kingjreid

thats all great and stuff, but the lure and attraction to trying to

make it big time is very, very tempting, especially if you are

talented. If the guy/girl gets a couple of good results, they are

sucked into thinking that cycling is easy and that they are good. thats

wrong, and cycling is really, really hard.

Furthermore, I

somehow think life is different from when you were at school. Being a

white male in this country nowadays with no degree/qualification

whatsoever is not a position i would like to be in, no matter how much

i love the sport...

Yes, but if you're a white male with no degree/qualification but have a unique sporting or artistic talent, that's been nurtured through some international experience while at school, you've still got something exciting to pursue...

And why do people still talk about 'having something to fall back on'? That's so 20th Century. Surely you set your sights on something and achieve it. If you don't achieve it, try harder, try again or aim for something else to achieve. Imagine living your whole life having 'fallen back on something' that you don't enjoy... Sad.

Kids go on school organised holidays, rugby and hockey tours overseas. Jill has built bridges for those who show talent and commitment, a stepping stone into the European racing scene. Remember, these are not weekend warriors, these are hardcore mini racers. If they can't crack it, at least they've given it a go - a dream they can experience. 

thats all great and stuff' date=' but the lure and attraction to trying to

make it big time is very, very tempting, especially if you are

talented. If the guy/girl gets a couple of good results, they are

sucked into thinking that cycling is easy and that they are good. thats

wrong, and cycling is really, really hard.

Furthermore, I

somehow think life is different from when you were at school. Being a

white male in this country nowadays with no degree/qualification

whatsoever is not a position i would like to be in, no matter how much

i love the sport...

Yes, but if you're a white male with no degree/qualification but have a unique sporting or artistic talent, that's been nurtured through some international experience while at school, you've still got something exciting to pursue...

And why do people still talk about 'having something to fall back on'? That's so 20th Century. Surely you set your sights on something and achieve it. If you don't achieve it, try harder, try again or aim for something else to achieve. Imagine living your whole life having 'fallen back on something' that you don't enjoy... Sad.

[/quote']

the thing is that i've heard it from the very best in our country in road cycling, and he is at a loss with what to do with his life. Heck, i just don't want those kids to end up like him.

the idea of 'pursuing you dreams' is very fluffed up. it is all very good and well, but this is reality. if you really really want it, go for it with 110%, and good luck to you. but for those other 99% that don't make it, well enjoy 1st year varsity in you 30's. i've heard about it and it sucks.

lastly there's more to a life path than cycling. you can easily fall back on something that you enjoy equally...

Thanks Buckstopper - just for the records the school books go with , education is very important to us - that is why so little of our youngsters participate in any events during exam periods - no performance in school no ride in team

And why do people still talk about 'having something to fall back on'? That's so 20th Century. Surely you set your sights on something and achieve it. If you don't achieve it' date=' try harder, try again or aim for something else to achieve. Imagine living your whole life having 'fallen back on something' that you don't enjoy... Sad.
[/quote']

They talk about it because its important.!Some old school points still hold water.!

I dont agree, kids of 15/16 cant even set their sights on next weeks dinner, let alone a life goal.

How many of these kids make it into the big league??

Give me numbers.??

1 maybe 2 ????

What about the others......................no education, means no future, so unless they feel like flipping burgers at Macdonalds for the rest of their lives its a bad call.

As a parent I would NEVER allow my youngster to forfeit her future on a whim. When she has a full and complete education, she can do what she likes, but until then - NO WAY.!

And why do people still talk about 'having something to fall back on'? That's so 20th Century. Surely you set your sights on something and achieve it. If you don't achieve it' date=' try harder, try again or aim for something else to achieve. Imagine living your whole life having 'fallen back on something' that you don't enjoy... Sad.

[/quote']

They talk about it because its important.!Some old school points still hold water.!

I dont agree, kids of 15/16 cant even set their sights on next weeks dinner, let alone a life goal.

How many of these kids make it into the big league??

ClapClapClap

i rest my case...

i'm sure porky just about sums it up for me there sean....

Give me numbers.??

1 maybe 2 ????

What about the others......................no education, means no future, so unless they feel like flipping burgers at Macdonalds for the rest of their lives its a bad call.

As a parent I would NEVER allow my youngster to forfeit her future on a whim. When she has a full and complete education, she can do what she likes, but until then - NO WAY.!

if they've been doing it for a few years now, I would like to see the list of , lets say 3 years ago, where are those kids now? How many are still racing, and how well?

I predict that a max of 2 kids will be racing when they elite. I would rather the kid just enjoy he cycling, and get serious last year junior. Or they will be part of the 400 u 16 SA champs of the last 30 years that stopped age 19.

So Porky, what you're saying is go to Europe for 6 weeks and that's your non-cycling career gone. Cycling requires discipline. Many youngsters learn to organise their lives so that they can train and race.  Some of their peers are goofing off, drinking and whatever else, while they're in bed because they're up early to race. Most of these kids that go overseas know their ability, or lack thereof, but the opportunity to race overseas is cool, and it's a fun trip away with people who have things in common with them. My daughter has a dream of racing for SA overseas. I am not going to mess with that dream. She knows that, however, to be a successful cyclist she needs to train hard. In order to be able to train, her homework must be up to date. She is doing well at school, has a social life and is successful on the bike. As she matures she is learning about her strengths and weaknesses and knows that while she may spend some time racing at the top level, her studies come first. She's 16 and knows she needs good grades to get into varsity. It doesn't have to be either or. And cycling at that level is not something you do on a whim.......