*A bike light for UNDER R1000!!

Speedi

Speedi, I am very impressed and am waiting to do the same (wife issues as I have made a number of lights already).  THE handle bar mounting is interesting, can you fill me in on where and how as this is the most difficult bit of the whole thing.

Also this is the time to do a bit of your own study (outside schooling) regarding electronics, LED's ext.  (Amps x Volts = Watts.)  I am glad that there are still people that can do things for themselves.  Well done again.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look, rechargeable D cell batteries cost R150 for 2. so is cost me R300 for 4 batteries(the light needs 3). and then R100 for the charger. so you looking at about R400 extra for batteries and charger!

the light is bright, you gotta see it to believe it!

if you thinking of buying new batts every time yours go flat you seriously have mental problems.

and also, the same D cell energizer batteries have lasted now 11hrs. and the light is still the same brightness!

look' date=' rechargeable D cell batteries cost R150 for 2. so is cost me R300 for 4 batteries(the light needs 3). and then R100 for the charger. so you looking at about R400 extra for batteries and charger!

the light is bright, you gotta see it to believe it!

if you thinking of buying new batts every time yours go flat you seriously have mental problems.

and also, the same D cell energizer batteries have lasted now 11hrs. and the light is still the same brightness! [/quote']

I'm not sure what your saying, your using rechargables already, if not you must have that mental problems your talking about.

yes konafan the mounting i think is ALWAYS the hardest part of building a light! my dad came up with the mounting solution. its simple yet very effective. i often notice in the group how other lights shake around or rather shudder. well the mount we put together seems to hold the light nice and tight!

another thing i would like to say is, BL's lights are made to race off road at night or nite races! from what i can gather anyway.(correct me if im wrong) i dont do such races, so the reason i need a light is just to train with in the mornings when its still dark... the light that my dad & I made works perfectly for what i need. as far as im concerned you dont need some hardcore light if you are training with a bunch in the early morinings.

remember that alkalines are 1.5V and Nihm is 1.2V.  The curcuit of the torch will draw and convert to rfun the LED at a stabilised voltage, so alkalines (which are cheaper if you can get them will last longer)

well sampie, when we made the light we never thought of using disposable batteries, that would be stupid. but i got them to use as a temporary solution! not permanently...

and yes speedi, the R329 torch that you have modified is more than enough that you would need on a morning road ride.

have you tried using 4x AA rechargeable batteries in a battery pack?

although it wont last as long, it will save weight and is cheaper.

no not yet.. im not to worried about weight hey, cause its all training weight. when a race comes i strip it off!

have you tried using 4x AA rechargeable batteries in a battery pack?

although it wont last as long' date=' it will save weight and is cheaper.
[/quote']

Or just try 8 AA. That is very popular en people get good burn time out of them.