*A bike light for UNDER R1000!!

Speedi

I wish I had more of the top lights to compare... I've only seen 'n nightlighting at 24hrs of Wiesenhof before' date=' but I'm really after a Betty and a Wilma... Cause by now everybody knows the difference between XR-E's and Seoul Z-Powers...

[/quote']

Speak to Agent Orenge about the Betty's and Wilma's maybe.

You should hang out in Jonkershoek, this week alone I've seen NiteRiders' CatEye, Exposure, Hope and L&M

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marius,

The shutter speed depends somewhat on the environment you take the photos in.

In the above photos in the backyard, I first found an exposure to accurately resemble the Brighter lights and then left the camera at that setting for the Light and Motion.

In the backyard I used:

Manual mode

Daylight white balance

ISO 200

F4.0

1 Second

Yes... fast shutter, because so much light is reflected back from the concrete wall...

BUT...

With the same lights in the bush, I used a slower shutter speed, because less light is reflected back...

In the end I just use different shutter speeds until the photo on the camera matches the light in the bush pretty closely and leave it at that.

It takes 4 or 5 test photos to find a good true exposure.

MTRB used:

ISO 100

F4.0

6 seconds...

If I use that with my lights, they appear overwhelmingly over exposed on the camera... and remember.. I wanna give out the true appearance of the light.

For the photos in the bush with the spot aimed at 40m I used:

ISO 200

F4.0

3.2 Seconds...

For a shootout on the open road with the spot aimed at 60m, I used:

ISO 100

F4.0

4 Seconds

I must say, after seeing light shootout photos of HID's on the web, incl. the L&M, I was very disappointed when I saw the L&M in real life...I expected a white blinding light... but on its dim level is almost blue green. The beam is very even though and I can't say anything bad about it... just that it deosn't nearly appear as bright as the revelation-3.

ok ok, I get it, I'm just going to take a few pictures till it looks right. Its digital so it'll have the setting encrypted into the photo if I need to regurgitate it , I'll also take one of my R150 build lights Lilo is using right now.

I agree' date=' those lights are the bassets danglers !!!  Thumbs%20Up Makes me wish I was still doing AR Unhappy

[/quote']

As impressive as they are, I don't really think they are suitable for a multi-day / expedition AR race as the cost of the multiple battery packs required become an inhibiting factor.

If one could obtain that sort of lumen output on normal AA's which is highly unlikely, then yes.

Quite nice' date=' nice!! are they bright?[/quote']

Are you asking if they are bright, or saying they are bright?

As impressive as they are' date=' I don't really think they are suitable for a multi-day / expedition AR race as the cost of the multiple battery packs required become an inhibiting factor.

[/quote']

My Brighter Lights LiPo battery, at brightness Level 1, lasts 35 hours which is still bright enough for cycling at night. In the lower, emergency mode, it goes to 55 hours.

Exactly how long do you need light for in an average AR?

The proof is normally in the pudding' date=' and that's why the beamshots are so valuable. I thikn we all look forward to seeing yours.

[/quote']

Now whats the taste of this pudding?
sampie2008-06-12 03:52:19

I think they are perfectly suitable for multi day events, more so than any other system I know of...

Revelation-3 burn times:

Level 5 (High Beam - minimum 5 hours burn time) (735 lumens)<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Level 4 (minimum 11 hours burn time) (427 lumens)

Level 3 (minimum 20 hours burn time) (332 lumens)

Level 2 (minimum 50 hours burn time) (190 lumens)

Level 1 (minimum 120 hours burn time) (45 lumens)

Now think about how much power you can get from AA's and what light output you can drive....when running the Revelation-3 at the same outputs than capable with AA's, you'll see in the above chart that the Revelation-3 can burn for hours and hours nonstop...

Most Revelation-3 owners agree that Level-2 is bright enought to ride pretty fast with... and that's worth 50 hours.

Keep in mind that most of us ride only offroad, so an even better test. 

I think they are perfectly suitable for multi day events' date=' more so than any other system I know of...

Revelation-3 burn times:

Level 5 (High Beam - minimum 5 hours burn time) (735 lumens)

Level 4 (minimum 11 hours burn time) (427 lumens)

Level 3 (minimum 20 hours burn time) (332 lumens)

Level 2 (minimum 50 hours burn time) (190 lumens)

Level 1 (minimum 120 hours burn time) (45 lumens)

Now think about how much power you can get from AA's and what light output you can drive....when running the Revelation-3 at the same outputs than capable with AA's, you'll see in the above chart that the Revelation-3 can burn for hours and hours nonstop...

Most Revelation-3 owners agree that Level-2 is bright enought to ride pretty fast with... and that's worth 50 hours.

Keep in mind that most of us ride only offroad, so an even better test. 

[/quote']

Mmm, ok, then I retract my reservation.

Hi There

That looks impressive. I think that you are onto something with the revelation.

I sent a mail with those voltages off to you today.

I am about to order in another batch of Wilmas and Betty's next week if anyone wants one. They are bloody good value but the price is high. My personal opinion is that even though the Betty has huge light output, the Wilma is currently the best light around particulalry that it head mounts so well. The batterypack holder is also absolutely awesome.

I am sponsoing a Team in the TRans Bav with lights this year if you want to have a look.  I have a guy thats ordered 2 Bettys for his bar and a Wilma for his helmet. Nearly 4000 lumens in total. He also wants a rear light that will interface with the Lupine battery pack.  I have not seen a single rear light that is worthy of being called such. With a bit of luck, Brighterlights will get one done.

The rear has to be bright enough so that no cyclist can ride behind you without being blinded. The rear light should have 2 brightness settings, one standard for when in a group and one bright for when you are guardsman at the rear of the pack.

I have a guy thats ordered 2 Bettys for his bar and a Wilma for his helmet. Nearly 4000 lumens in total.

Clearly I am in the wrong job...

If I had that kind of cash lying around B-L would have received my order long ago, plus I would still have plenty change in hand!

I have a guy thats ordered 2 Bettys for his bar and a Wilma for his helmet. Nearly 4000 lumens in total.

Clearly I am in the wrong job...
If I had that kind of cash lying around B-L would have received my order long ago' date=' plus I would still have plenty change in hand!

[/quote']

Mountain_lion,

You wouldn't happen to be an engineer by any chance ?