*A bike light for UNDER R1000!!

Speedi

yeah pretty junk pic, i wont lie! dont have my tri pod. so had the camera on the boot of the car... will put a better pic on sometime this weekend. look, i rate its just a little bit dimmer than the Revelation 1. but will put some comparing pics on soonSpeedi152008-06-05 13:17:45

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the light

12 pages and we have not even seen a pic yet - must be a new record?

Interested to see as there are more and more night races coming on, plus all nighters that limit the effectiveness of many of the lights.
Interested in the results of your next pic.....

Ons wag in spanning

...plus all nighters that limit the effectiveness of many of the lights.

It does limit most lights, but not mine Wink

Mine's good for around 35 hours if need be.

Too bad it looks ridiculous and only lasts 10 minutes! You better use it to start a veld fire so you can see where you are going.

Ok... I've been watching this thread but have to jump onto the wagon now...

'Im sorry but BL is selling new LED lights that work on one LED. he's selling them for R1800 a shot. they give you 220lms mine costs R500 build and gives 180lms!'

What proof do you have that your flashlight's LED gives 176 lumens? You just mention XR-E Cree. Most of these flashlight companies lie about their light output.  

Did you know that you get XR-E's that only put out 60 lumens at 350mA and XR-E's that put out 120 lumens at 350mA? 

My experience is that if they do not specify the bin group of the LED' date=' that it's a generic Cree XR or low bin XR-E's.

So before you tell us at what current the LED is driven, I'll see the output claim as guessing. I'll tell you why... 

One D cell from Duracell is rated 15Ah... and 1.5v . But did you know that the Duracell D cell's capacity is only 4Ah when running it at 1A current? 

So to get 180 lumens like your claim from even the highest bin XR-E's, you need to drive the LED at 800mA to 1000mA.  

Did you know that the LED will need a voltage of 3.6v to 4v at 800mA to 1000mA and that 3x D cells gives you 4.5v when full, but only 3.0v when empty?

This means that halfway through the life of your battery pack, the voltage will be too low and current will drop = linear dimming of the LED = less lumen output.

We could also do it like this... let's calculate your battery's capacity at the higher current you will be drawing:  

4(4000mA capacity)x1.5vx3 =  18 watt's of power in the batteries at that current.

To achieve 176 or 180 lumens from even the highest output Cree's you will need 800 to 1000mA current.

So lets be way conservative and take you have the latest Q5 bin at 800mA.

This is then 0.8 x 3.7v (led forward voltage) = 2.96 watts for the led and probably over 3.4 watts when adding the driver's 80 to 90% efficiency. But lets be even more conservative and say the driver has 100% efficiency.

So your battery is 18W and you led is 3W = 6 hours maximum. (But we know halfway through the battery life the voltage will be too low and current will drop = longer runtime at the lower current)

Your claim of running 10 hours already tells me that the led is not driven at even 800mA so the lumen output is just impossible.

'its quite big, for such a small light! i was surprised!'

= FALSE

The Revelation-1's battery pack is not only lighter than 3x D cells, but it has 3 times the amount of power contained in it.

20080606_041843_P1200348.jpg

Lightweight

20080606_042002_P1200351.jpg

Super compact, lightweight, high tech.

20080606_042119_P1200352.jpg

Complicated charger circuit... 20080606_042658_P1200354.jpg

To compare the Brighter-Lights Revelation-1 to a torch or any other 1-LED system is like comparing a duck to an eagle.

On www.brighter-lights.com there's a couple of pages you could read to get educated about LED's, the latest tech. batteries and marketing lies.

Brighter-Lights2008-06-06 07:02:33

B-L, you spoiling the fun we having with Speedi15!!!LOLWink Now we never going to see the photo..Ouch

sound like someone did not do his/her homework properly? I suggest people looking for lights to read the documentation on bright-light website ... very informative, hence why B-L knows what he is talking about!!

Hahaha, don't fsck with someone that knows what they are talking about! You WILL get beat down!

Speedi15 was using a tactical torch to make his light, you can buy them in the dozens on eBay. However, most of those torches use LED's NOT EVEN RELEASED YET. So I'd be VERY skeptical when believing what those manufacturers are saying in terms out output etc.

Remember, Speedy15 is only 15. I don't think they've even covered potty training in school yet let alone amps and vollywats and lumiherts.

Will you all stop beating the man to the ground. He is trying something new, told everyone he is not competing against BL isn't selling this on a huge commercial basis, may just find a solution by accident to a price problem and is having fun doing it. If we shot down everybody who was trying to create something new, we'd all be riding dikwiels instead of gizzion rand mountain bikes. Leave him alone you bullies, afterall BL started somewhere.

(I will say though that bl has put a heck of a lot of effort and work into his lights so he does know what he's doing)