Lefty carbon wheel build question

Jaco Van Der Merwe

Hi riders,

Im looking at acquiring some carbon wheels for my Cannondale Scalpel 3, but looking for second hand. So, can i buy a normal carbon front wheel and just have it rebuilt with a lefty hub but use the old spokes/rim etc?

Then, what would be a good carbon rim/hub combo to look at? I see most experts ride roval/enve, so is this what i should look out for or is there better cost efficient options available?

With regard to your first question, it will be better to have any rebuild done with new spokes and new nipples, using your left hub. If you want to go for high end wheels, do not skimp on spokes and nipples. If you want durability, get brass nipples, alloy nipples have a bad habit of snapping when you can ill afford it.

100% agree to what Traveller says. New spokes and nipples. Most likely your current spokes wont fit anyway to your new hub.

Rim choice: Enve is kind of high price/high end. If moeny is no concern, go for it...but...Roval is the Specialized house brand, that is the reason why you will see it it a lot here. There are plenty of other options for good rims out there. Check out the local guys like Csixx (https://www.csixx.co.za/collections/wheels) or South Industries (http://www.southindustries.cc/) or even the Chinese offerings. Some like Light Bicycle or Nextie have some interesting options that come in at a fraction of the big brand's price. So why not buy new? If you buy a big brand second hand you won't benefit from any warranty anyway...

Your hub choices are equally big. Weight, speed of engagement, reliability, ease of maintenance and cost are some driving factors. I love my American Classic hubs but I can live with the slow engagement. Many people hate that. However, AC are bust now and thus not the best recommendation anymore. For my next wheel set I am toying with Syntace hubs. Light, reliable star ratchet, fast engagement, easy to maintain and cheaper than DT Swiss. Just to give some ideas. 

Where you should not save is your wheel builder. Find the best guy in your area and don't negotiate his price :). He will also be able to give you valuable advice on what the best spoke count and size will be for your weight/riding style and rim choice. 

Have fun :)

1 st of all, which Lefty hub do you require..?

Lefty 1 or 2.0( compatible with Scalpel SI and FSI)

These will require A.I. offset build on both the front and rear wheels( something you must tell your wheel builder, and preferably someone with some experience in this regard)

I recommend you get asymmetric rims if you have a Scalpel si of FSI frame, for best results and stiff evecient wheels..

Regarding the rear hub, I suggest Dt Swiss 240 or 350 for engagement and durability...

Front depends on your model of lefty..., most pre 2015 will be 1.0 , which means a 50mm lefty hub... plenty available

Spoke choice depend on the rims you select... deeper section rims I can recommend DT Revolution, however the wheels get flexi when you have Lower profile rims .

As before, if money is no option, buy an ENVE factory built set.

Can see i need to research more. Its a Scalpel SI 3 2017 model, currently with ztr crests.

I have no clue what you all mean with hub engagement... i do however know that rear is AI offset but again have no clue whether its easy the adapt an existing wheelset for that. It makes it quite difficult to order wheels over the internet then, seems i would have to go to a shop/wheel builder and discuss first?

Also remember you have 28 hole wheels.. i looked at the same bike and i had 32 hole wheels so had to settle for Si4..

Can see i need to research more. Its a Scalpel SI 3 2017 model, currently with ztr crests.

I have no clue what you all mean with hub engagement... i do however know that rear is AI offset but again have no clue whether its easy the adapt an existing wheelset for that. It makes it quite difficult to order wheels over the internet then, seems i would have to go to a shop/wheel builder and discuss first?

What is wrong with the wheels on the bike?

A good wheel builder will be able to get the dishing and the off-set correct, so do not worry about that too much. I had a set of lefty wheels built in January, but I used my existing hubs, just replaced the hoops with RaceFace ARC 30's. Had all the spokes and nipples replaced. If I was to replace the rear hub, it would have been with a Novatec hub.

When you do buy, see if you can get 30mm internal width rims. They do support tyres really well and one can reduce tyre pressures to increase grip.

http://www.wheelbuilder.co.za/

Why dont you consider the CZero or Czero SL wheels. I ha e the. On my 2015 scalpel and they really perform well. Cost me just over 12k in 2017

as said above: what actually is wrong with the stock wheels? Crest MK2 32hole on Czero hubs. It is unlikely that your carbon rims will be lighter than the Crests. Stiffer yes but not lighter. 

as said above: what actually is wrong with the stock wheels? Crest MK2 32hole on Czero hubs. It is unlikely that your carbon rims will be lighter than the Crests. Stiffer yes but not lighter. 

If you go according to factory Specs:

The Crest, 21mm internal is 380gr.

The Crest Mk3, 23mm internal is 364gr

The cSixx XCO Mk2 22mm internal is 355gr.

The South Industries 29XC, 28mm internal is 370gr.

The ENVE M525, 25mm internal is 367gr.

The Race Face Carbon ARC, 31mm internal 495gr (Enduro use rim)

Good question and i dont have a good answer. We looking at a 4 day stage race in Poland in june again 6 day race in july. Im really working on getting my weight down now, and always see the pros on carbon wheels. I guess its a combo of weight and stiffness which results in more direct power going into fwd motion? Why would anyone go for carbon wheels otherwise?

I maybe wrong here.. but the SI3 came out with 28 hole wheels...thats what the guys from CwC told me... SI4 is 32 hole...

Congratulations on a great bike.

Not sure what your budget is but I wouldn’t go second hand.

As a start I would get someone to build over some carbon rims into your existing wheels.

Couple of shops here in Cape Town are offering this build with Chinese rims at a VERY good price.

If you had a little more cash I would do the Chinese carbon rims with a different rear hub.

The Cannondale ( formula) rear hub is crap with some of the bodies giving problems and last time I checked agents didn’t have replacement bodies.

If money is no option I would go Tune/South industries build

Been very happy with mine