Le Turbo Grand Prix , worth building?

RussiaM

I agree hence I started stripping down and I'm taking a break now due to my arm being numb from 2 hrs of sanding by hand . I don't want to use power tools on it. Everything is going smoothly except for the front fork and handle bars not coming apart. I suspect I'm going to have the same issue with the seat post. Let me check. . . yup,also stuck. I'm going to lubricate them and carry on building the muscles in my right arm with the sand paper.

Hi everyone. So my day was hectic but I got rough build done (sanded down sprayed 1 coat of each colour I thought I might like. Picked a colour did 1 coat no primer a metallic flake gloss ,put all parts I wanted in just loosely to get visual idea. Tonight I strip paint and tomorrow do the build. Using primers etc etc. So I decided on a Scarlett red will do 3 coats after which I will apply a gold flake and finish off with 5 coats of metallic candy gloss clear coat the 2 rear tubes will be done the same only in gloss black with gold flake. Front fork is the carbon fibre DT swiss ,the handle bar holder (pls educate me on proper names) is a gloss black with lime green pinstripe KONA . aluminum road racer handlebars will use white tape , going to gloss black the brake levers and shifters and use white tubing for all the steel cabling. I will get what I need to use the FSA gossamer crank set. Deore derailleurs , jalco big nine rear wheel and xcr 1 front wheel ,aluminum seat post and specialized saddle, stock brakes unless I can find disc brakes . ive taped up the Reynolds sticker so that will be visible. I want to rename it. Not a brand . thinking of calling it LeMODERN and model PHOENIX

Hi everyone. So my day was hectic but I got rough build done (sanded down sprayed 1 coat of each colour I thought I might like. Picked a colour did 1 coat no primer a metallic flake gloss ,put all parts I wanted in just loosely to get visual idea. Tonight I strip paint and tomorrow do the build. Using primers etc etc. So I decided on a Scarlett red will do 3 coats after which I will apply a gold flake and finish off with 5 coats of metallic candy gloss clear coat the 2 rear tubes will be done the same only in gloss black with gold flake. Front fork is the carbon fibre DT swiss ,the handle bar holder (pls educate me on proper names) is a gloss black with lime green pinstripe KONA . aluminum road racer handlebars will use white tape , going to gloss black the brake levers and shifters and use white tubing for all the steel cabling. I will get what I need to use the FSA gossamer crank set. Deore derailleurs , jalco big nine rear wheel and xcr 1 front wheel ,aluminum seat post and specialized saddle, stock brakes unless I can find disc brakes . ive taped up the Reynolds sticker so that will be visible. I want to rename it. Not a brand . thinking of calling it LeMODERN and model PHOENIX

Stop teasing us... Show pictures as you go along. Would love to see it take shape.

By the way I had one of these. I wish I'd kept it and done a nice s

Stop teasing us... Show pictures as you go along. Would love to see it take shape.

By the way I had one of these. I wish I'd kept it and done a nice restore on it. I bought it at a junk shop for R150 back in the 90s

I will take some pics lol but keep in mind this is just a very very rough Assembly just to get a visual from a distance . so the colours will be better because if primer and coats. And I'm using what I have available lol. But hey its a build thread so I will take some snaps now now . before I strip paint . I rode it when I bought it . I liked the way it felt like it was gliding. Apart from the slight noise due to not indexing the derailleur yet . maybe you like this 1 when its done Eugene "nudge nudge" lol

that's it for now

Good man, well done.

501 may not be the best Reynolds tubing, but it is still Reynolds tubing. It will ride lekker for sure and it will take a beating. I recently restored a Hansom Reynolds 708, rides like a dream.

Its looking good so far even if its just a wrought mockup.

I'm surprised that the DT Swiss fork you have fits into the headtube of that frame, it should be quite tight if I'm not mistaken and you'll probably have to use a external tipe headset.

Regarding the disc brakes your fork might be able to take them but you'll have to have a bracket of sorts fabricated to fit the frame on the rear and also need to replace your hubs to disc compatable ones.

I'd rather be on the lookout for a newer type road fork that fits your headtube and stick to road caliper brakes if I were you.

Good luck going forward and keep us updated. [emoji106]

Thanx for the advice, my aim when I build something is to build it with the idea of not spending alot (unless ive decided beforehand on specific requirements and need to purchase) so I setout uuing what I have or can trade for, the fork sits nicely not tight which m happy about, the rims can take discs I just need to fabricate for the rear caliper as you mentioned, I didnt get done today as I was busy with the bike thats on the your opinions on the spry job thread , aswell as my drift trike build (no welding) . That said , im in helderberg and have some retro frames I want to swop for old unused components, on what forum can I post that tia

Thanx for the advice, my aim when I build something is to build it with the idea of not spending alot (unless ive decided beforehand on specific requirements and need to purchase) so I setout uuing what I have or can trade for, the fork sits nicely not tight which m happy about, the rims can take discs I just need to fabricate for the rear caliper as you mentioned, I didnt get done today as I was busy with the bike thats on the your opinions on the spry job thread , aswell as my drift trike build (no welding) . That said , im in helderberg and have some retro frames I want to swop for old unused components, on what forum can I post that tia

I do much the same when building something. As it is always in a tight budget I re-use old parts I have lying around and source second hand old stuff from my Lbs.

Although I haven't done something as old as yours yet.

You can post on the Retro Bicycle Thread, maybe you can swop out parts with someone there or get pointed in the right direction, alternatively try contacting Woodstock Cycle Works, from what I gather they have a abundance of retro/classic bikes and spares, maybe you can do some trading with parts there.

I do much the same when building something. As it is always in a tight budget I re-use old parts I have lying around and source second hand old stuff from my Lbs.

Although I haven't done something as old as yours yet.

You can post on the Retro Bicycle Thread, maybe you can swop out parts with someone there or get pointed in the right direction, alternatively try contacting Woodstock Cycle Works, from what I gather they have a abundance of retro/classic bikes and spares, maybe you can do some trading with parts there.

Thank you I appreciate your help, I also dont normally do old or even road bikes lol, but im actually enjoying this build ,