Myciti bike lane paarden Eiland to town

NC_lurker

I'm dropping my car at Mitsubishi paarden Eiland tomorrow morning and was thinking of riding into town using the bike path next to the MyCiti bus lane.

Is it currently safe for an individual? I'm guessing I'd be passing through around 07.30.

Thanks.

Hi, Yep its safe t that time, avoid after dark! Use your common sense, stay alert and avoid groups of people / pedestrians. If necessary ride on the bus lane, but keep a close eye on busses behind you. I often ride against the traffic on Marine in the yellow lane and then cut onto the bike lane at the harbour.

alternately come up the service road parrallel Marine drive, but there is no run off and its a bit of a rat run so lots of speeding cars - I would'nt recommend at this time of the day. 

Hi there,

I usually don't cycle there that early in the day but I cycle the track 2-3 times a week and it is safe. Never had any weird encounters even though you'll see people living close to the train tracks that might walk around there.

Edited by suNN361

I use it from Milnerton in afternoon sm time I see metro cops and other security cars in corner. Just be alert at all times.

Hi, Yep its safe t that time, avoid after dark! Use your common sense, stay alert and avoid groups of people / pedestrians. If necessary ride on the bus lane, but keep a close eye on busses behind you. I often ride against the traffic on Marine in the yellow lane and then cut onto the bike lane at the harbour.

alternately come up the service road parrallel Marine drive, but there is no run off and its a bit of a rat run so lots of speeding cars - I would'nt recommend at this time of the day. 

Don't do this. Illegal and very dangerous. You will have no recourse should you get injured / run over by a bus.

I've seen groups of guys riding in the bus lane, and then they get pounced upon by an official looking chap on a motorbike, that chases them of the bus lane.

There is a cycling lane, stay on that.....

I commute IN the bus lane from Civic Centre all the way to Paarden Eiland stop and back after work IN the bus lane.

I find it much safer than riding the cycle lane so close to the pedestrian's.  

You are right about watching for the buses who hoon it down the road, but that keeps the road clear of potential hijackers!!