Wake Up Bike Brands - TITAN IS DOING IT RIGHT!

Hairy

So if for example you change the RD from SLX to XT the warranty would fall away?

Shouldn't' really. By way of your example, only if changing from SLX to XT somehow results in damage.

Edit: It shouldn't fall away just because of the change itself, only if damage was caused as a result of the change.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warranty is great but they wont have people riding their bikes if they cannot respond to quote requests.

Shouldn't' really. By way of your example, only if changing from SLX to XT somehow results in damage.

Thanx  :thumbup:  

Your TITAN RACING BIKE carries a 5-Year Multi-User Warranty from the purchase date of the original owner. This warranty is transferable to all subsequent owners within its 5-year lifespan. In order to take advantage of Titan Racing’s unique 5-year multi-user warranty, the original owner must:

Register the bike online within 30 days of purchase. To register your bike visit: www.titanracingbikes.com/register- your-bike/
•  Keep the original proof of purchase.
Pass on the proof of purchase to subsequent owner(s).

In the event that a warranty claim arises, the current owner will need to substantiate the claim by providing the proof of purchase along with the affected product being claimed. If the bike is not registered, the multi-user warranty is not applicable and the standard 5-year warranty remains valid to the original owner only.

Warranty claims will only be accepted if:

• The bicycle has been used ONLY for its intended purpose.
Had an inspection during its first 500km or the first six months after purchase.
The original spec has not been changed/adapted.
The bicycle has had its suspension system serviced required service intervals.

Awesome idea, but has a LOT of red tape...lot of paperwork need to be kept in place for this to be warranted AND ORIGINAL SPEC CAN NOT BE CHANGED ie. CAN NOT CHANGE ANY COMPONENTS FROM ORIGINAL SPEC???

...BUT still a great concept, well done Titan  :thumbup: 

Your TITAN RACING BIKE carries a 5-Year Multi-User Warranty from the purchase date of the original owner. This warranty is transferable to all subsequent owners within its 5-year lifespan. In order to take advantage of Titan Racing’s unique 5-year multi-user warranty, the original owner must:

Register the bike online within 30 days of purchase. To register your bike visit: www.titanracingbikes.com/register- your-bike/

In the event that a warranty claim arises, the current owner will need to substantiate the claim by providing the proof of purchase along with the affected product being claimed. If the bike is not registered, the multi-user warranty is not applicable and the standard 5-year warranty remains valid to the original owner only.

Had an inspection during its first 500km or the first six months after purchase.

Awesome idea, but has a LOT of red tape...lot of paperwork need to be kept in place for this to be warranted AND ORIGINAL SPEC CAN NOT BE CHANGED ie. CAN NOT CHANGE ANY COMPONENTS FROM ORIGINAL SPEC???

Ah, that changes things...

Great job comparing Spaz to an Audi, but the Giant would definitely be a Toyota not a Cherry. 

Not really the point, but ok.

You're conflating two separate issues here. The problem with most bike warranties isn't that they expire in like 2, or 3 or whatever years. We all understand that limited life. I wouldn't expect a 5+ year old bike to still have the original warranty in place.

The issue is when a person sells a 1 year old bike, and the existence of the second owner immediately voids the warranty. Why shouldn't the warranty transfer with ownership? I like the way this is going, thanks Titan.

I was not trying to make a point about the duration of warranties. My point was that everyone is more than happy to spend a small fortune on a car with no warranty that would cost them obscene amounts more to fix if something should go wrong, but they are quick to complain and whine when purchasing a bicycle with no warranty.

I am not comparing durations. I am not comparing procedures. I am not comparing ownership transfer. I am merely comparing mind set.

Don't disagree with your comparisons - but I think the point that is being made has been missed.

Buying a new car you get a warranty and service plan - both of these carry over to any owner that buys that car secondhand from you, for the duration of the 5 years or 3 years plan and warranty.

Hence the argument to say when buying a bike - the warranty attached to it should stay valid for the duration of the warranty.  Not fall away if its sold onto someone else secondhand.

Again, the point I am trying to make is that most people wouldn't hesitate to spend R50k - R100k on a car with no warranty that could cost them a fortune to fix, but complain when they spend R30k on a bike that has no warranty but is cheaper to fix.

Do not think so as they have a list of items on that site's page listed as wear and tear items that would inevitably need to be maintained and replaced when the time comes.

So if for example you change the RD from SLX to XT the warranty would fall away?

A NOTE ON WEAR

Some components of your bike are subjected to wear due to their function. The rate of wear depends on care and maintenance as well as on the way in which you use your bike (kilometers travelled, rides in the rain, dirt, salt etc.). Bikes that are often left standing in the open may also be subject to increased wear through influence of weather.

These components require regular care and maintenance. Nevertheless, sooner or later they will reach the end of their service life, depending on the conditions and intensity of use. Parts that have reached their limit of wear must be replaced.

This concerns:

• The chain

• The brake cables

• The handlebar grips/tape

• The chainwheels

• The paint

• The sprockets

• The chain rollers

• The gear cables

• The tires

• The saddle covering

• The lubricants

• The brake pads

Most bike warranties and warranties in general are actually above and beyond what is required by law already. Warranties are used as a selling point. They do not need to offer anything over 1 year for the first owner, but yet most bike manufacturers offer at least 5 years for the first owner.

Just a quick hypothetical:

You have R50k to spend on a car. You can either buy a brand new Cherry with warranty etc etc, but let's face it, you don't want to drive a Cherry. So instead, you spend the R50k on a 10 year old Audi A3. Great car and a steal at that price. But you have no warranty, because the warranty is only 5 years. But that doesn't seem to bother you, because you got a great car at a great price.

Now a couple of months later, you have another R50k to spend on a bicycle. You could buy a pretty nice Anthem with that cash with full warranty and all that. But let's face it, you can also buy a second hand S-Works for that money. I know which one I'd rather have. Yet because the bike is second hand, it has no warranty. Now all of a sudden it's a massive issue.

See the double standards here?

I for one have never had a problem with the fact that warranties on bikes do not transfer owners. And while I do have plenty of bikes that I am the first owner of, I also have plenty of second hand bikes and frames. Most of them well within their warranty period. But I also have insurance. And yeah, it sucks to claim, but up until now I have been lucky and when I purchased these bikes or frames, I was fully aware of the risk. That's just life. Just like your fancy DSG gearbox on your new Audi could break and end up costing you a small fortune to fix.

with the car you can buy an extended warranty and/or service plan either via the manufacturer or third party and still its transferable..this is excluding your insurance ..so not a great comparison being made by you. :eek:

agree with OP - other brands should take note.. :thumbup:

and with all manufacturers - the warranty do fall away if you alter the spec it originally came out with. :nuke:

with the car you can buy an extended warranty and/or service plan either via the manufacturer or third party and still its transferable..this is excluding your insurance ..so not a great comparison being made by you. :eek:

agree with OP - other brands should take note.. :thumbup:

and with all manufacturers - the warranty do fall away if you alter the spec it originally came out with. :nuke:

So perhaps then bike manufacturers should offer extended warranties to purchase? Which will then make this whole transferrable warranty debate null and void?

Not a great conclusion being drawn by you.

Point is, a bike is a toy. If you don't like something, don't buy it. It's not a car that gets you to work to pay the bills. It's a toy. Stop whinging about stupid stuff like transferrable warranties.

You are still missing the point.

Someone can buy a new bike and in two months realise that the bike is not right for them and then want to sell. 

Now why should the person lucky enough to get a great deal on a new'ish bike not be able to take over the warranty?

The frame certainly has not deteriorated due to the origional owner selling it, structurally it is still the same.

This is showing to me that Titan are confident in their manufacturing process and are willing to back up their products.

I was not trying to make a point about the duration of warranties. My point was that everyone is more than happy to spend a small fortune on a car with no warranty that would cost them obscene amounts more to fix if something should go wrong, but they are quick to complain and whine when purchasing a bicycle with no warranty.

I am not comparing durations. I am not comparing procedures. I am not comparing ownership transfer. I am merely comparing mind set.

1st point ... chill a little with the "whinging" comments and tone.

2nd point .... my bicycle is my "car" that gets me to work and back on a daily basis, and also to sites in order earn a living.

So perhaps then bike manufacturers should offer extended warranties to purchase? Which will then make this whole transferrable warranty debate null and void?

Point is, a bike is a toy. If you don't like something, don't buy it. It's not a car that gets you to work to pay the bills. It's a toy. Stop whinging about stupid stuff like transferrable warranties.

You are still missing the point.

Someone can buy a new bike and in two months realise that the bike is not right for them and then want to sell. 

Now why should the person lucky enough to get a great deal on a new'ish bike not be able to take over the warranty?

The frame certainly has not deteriorated due to the origional owner selling it, structurally it is still the same.

This is showing to me that Titan are confident in their manufacturing process and are willing to back up their products.

Because he is getting a great deal on a new bike. That is why. You cannot have your cake and eat it.

And warranty does not cover wear and tear/ deterioration, so regardless of how old and deteriorated the frame is, the warranty is not going to make any difference.

A manufacturing detail does not show up after 5 years. It show up within the first few weeks. In that time, the original owner would've already replaced the frame under his rightful warranty.

i see Friday has come early to you :clap:  :eek:  :devil:

Archived