Gravel grind routes in and around Cape Town

Mamil

OK, my bad, no idea how I got there then.

I know at one stage there was a very open & inviting looking access road at the back of the Constantia Nek parking lot. Don't know if they ever actually put a gate on it.

OK, my bad, no idea how I got there then.

You have been a naughty boy....its been a restricted conservation area as far back as I can remember with permits issued two weeks in advance to restricted numbers of hikers

You have been a naughty boy....its been a restricted conservation area as far back as I can remember with permits issued two weeks in advance to restricted numbers of hikers

Probably guilty as charged, but as far as I remember the track was a very wide, level track (not even a jeep track) which is why I thought of it when OP asked for gravel track recommendations.

Look at the satellite image here: https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.0074259,18.3964771,572m/data=!3m1!1e3 and you'll see it's quite a big road. I can't imagine that specific stretch would be much fun to hike.

Anyways, I still think the Nek to Newlands forest track would be good for a gravel bike (seeing as that's what OP was asking for :) ).

To be honest (as Jewbacca mentioned), most of the "mountain bike" tracks around Table Mountain have very few technical sections and could quite easily be done with a gravel bike with wide-ish tyres. 

I also think most of the Tokai main routes are pretty doable with a gravel bike, including the Mast and Silvermine. I've ridden all of the above on a hybrid with no suspension, so can vouch for the fact that it can be done.