Only "Sort of " cycling related and.............

widget

I have no idea on fuel injection or carbs ShaunH. Embarrassed - I think its a 2004 model. 

I am no expert' date=' but I actually think it is a bad idea to add only battery acid (Sulphuric Acid H2SO4) to the cells. If it is completely dry, that might be an indication of a leak or crack in rhe body of the battery which ultimatelly may lead to replacement of the battery. I think that you must rather add "electrolyte" which is a mixture of acid and distilled water, which must have a relative density of ? 1.25. We normally have to add water to car batteries because the water evaporates, and because sulphuric acid has a boiling point of roughly 290 ?C and will not evaporate under normal instances. Battery cell electrolyte is something like a 35% w/w mixture of sulphuric acid with distilled water. I am really speaking under correction here, so please do not take anything that I have said as fact![/quote']

Steynja

You are correct about the density of 1.25, but if you buy the acid at a motor spare shop it is already diluted to 1.25. that is why if the battery is empty you should only fill it with acid otherwise you would dilute the acid further which would make it useless. No amount of charging would get it back to 1.25

Not that clued up on batteries, but my mates have front AND back stands for their superbikes. They reckon its important to have both tyres of the surface and the bike should be upright... Something about flat spots in the tyres if left for too long in one place..

On our quads and mx bikes, we always drained the petrol from the carbs and the tank if left for extended periods.. local petrol can turn varnish like over time and gums plenty stuff up...

Yes, the petrol issue is something I also learned to my dismay when I left my jetski in the garage for over a year. When I wanted to use it again, it spluttered and coughed something awefull, I took it for a service and the technician said he had to flush the entire fuel system as everything was gummed up.

On the battery issue, I dont know about filling, but if the battery lies at an angle (like on a side stand) then you must be carefull about charging it in place as the water may not be level and some of the cells may not be covered when you charge it.

As slowpoke said its a good idea to ensure the bike is upright when you charge the battery so the water is level.

KDEE, if it's only standing for a month or two at a time then flat spots aren't going to be a big issue (unless you're a racer) so paddock stands aren't really needed. also, i don't know if you even get paddock stands for cruisers?

Slowpoke, I bow to your better knowledgeSmile. I am way too scared of superbikes to have ever owned one, just passing on what the mates tell me.. Then again they are passionate and anal about these bikes..

KDEE, as you say - if they use them seldom and it's a superbike and they're gonna bo hell-for-leather when they do bother to ride them then they have reason to pop them onto paddock stands. i just don't see the point of owning a beast and never riding it!

KDEE' date=' as you say - if they use them seldom and it's a superbike and they're gonna bo hell-for-leather when they do bother to ride them then they have reason to pop them onto paddock stands. i just don't see the point of owning a beast and never riding it![/quote']

Ya, I was just gonna say the same thing... All these "problems" disappear if you use the bike like you're supposed to... as in often... like everydayWink

You, are right, use it or something gos wrong - Murphys law.

When I lived in the USA I had a cruiser and it was great, the roads are made for long distance cruising. When I returned to SA, I longed for another cruiser, so after a long debate, I bought another one, but little did I understand, SA roads are not conductive to cruising, too narrow, too many big trucks and nobody, but nobody wants to turtle along at 100kms. These bikes are also HUGE to turn and in traffic are awefull.

Consequently I seldom ride the thing, except for the odd run up to the Graskop, Hazyview area and the annual Toy Run.!Confused

Anyway, the battery seems okay, fired up pretty quickly yesterday.