Boyes drive

corriekuilder

This is a Q for the Cape riders, how safe will it be to ride on Boyes drive towards westlake, over Ou kaapse weg back to Simonstown? I am planning a ride tomorrow morning on that route.

Reasonably safe I think. (don't ride it often myself)

Boyes is quite narrow so just be cautious and aware of traffic.

Likewise on OK ... while it's wider and has a shoulder, it carries quite a bit of traffic.

From a crime point of view, no real issues, certainly no more than anywhere else. Monday morning early traffic will be very busy on the whole of your loop. Ou Kaaps has a wide shoulder,but there is always the odd idiot who like passing very close. Also, when going down it gets pretty fast and then you have cars passing from behind too. No reason not to do it, just be aware. Boyes is narrower but the traffic is slower and I prefer that to Main Rd through Kalk Bay and St James. Here it helps to be as visible as possible, so if you have bright stuff, wear it and put daytime running lights on if you have. 

It's a perfectly safe route however in the mornings you can expect heavy traffic on Boyes drive and the road is generally narrow.

Going back towards Simonstown over ou Kaapse you'll be going against the main traffic flow, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Not sure why you've picked your route, but if you're open to suggestions why not rather go up Red Hill and reverse around Cape point, coming back down Smitswinkel. Beautiful scenery and no traffic.

(Note, don't do red Hill from the inside/Scarborough side towards Simonstown. That side can be dodgy and you're more at risk climbing slowly than the 2min quick descent through the dodgy part)

Not sure why you've picked your route, but if you're open to suggestions why not rather go up Red Hill and reverse around Cape point, coming back down Smitswinkel. Beautiful scenery and no traffic.

(Note, don't do red Hill from the inside/Scarborough side towards Simonstown. That side can be dodgy and you're more at risk climbing slowly than the 2min quick descent through the dodgy part)

That sure is a much more scenic route :thumbup: And quiet enough to admire the view

It's a perfectly safe route however in the mornings you can expect heavy traffic on Boyes drive and the road is generally narrow.

Going back towards Simonstown over ou Kaapse you'll be going against the main traffic flow, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I have done the route previously, done simons-chappies-lluandudno and back. I made the mistake once to ride kommietjie/oceanview, very dodgy. So the planned route for tomorrow will most likely be simons-boyes-ou kaapse-noordhoek(coffee stop)-blackhill back to simons. How is the route going over constantia neck vs boyes drive?

I have done the route previously, done simons-chappies-lluandudno and back. I made the mistake once to ride kommietjie/oceanview, very dodgy. So the planned route for tomorrow will most likely be simons-boyes-ou kaapse-noordhoek(coffee stop)-blackhill back to simons. How is the route going over constantia neck vs boyes drive?

I'd say Constantia Nek is worse traffic wise, although you can avoid most of it by heading up valley rd. Plus in the morning there's a really narrow section where the sun can be straight into drivers eyes.

Boyes drive will be ok, just expect traffic.

Constantia Nek (CN) is quite some distance from Boyes and changes your route completely.

CN takes you to Hout Bay.?

Constantia Nek (CN) is quite some distance from Boyes and changes your route completely.

Yes it does, I was thinking that if Boyes drive was too much of a risk, i will change my route from simonstown-chappies-houbaai-constantia neck-tokai-ou kaapse weg-blackhill-simonstown.

The assumption is that the OP was suggesting doing Simonstown - Chappies - Constantia Nek - ou Kaapse, instead of his originally proposed route of Simonstown - Boyes - ou Kaapse.

Yes it does, I was thinking that if Boyes drive was too much of a risk, i will change my route from simonstown-chappies-houbaai-constantia neck-tokai-ou kaapse weg-blackhill-simonstown.

I wouldn't advise Constantia Nek during peak week day traffic particularly not from Hout Bay side.

Descending to Hout Bay isn't as bad.

Going up from Constantia has a couple of alternatives which are better than the main road: Southern Cross Dr or Canterbury Dr (Bishops Court/Kirstenbosch).

So maybe do the route in the other direction.?

I wouldn't advise Constantia Nek during peak week day traffic particularly not from Hout Bay side.

Descending to Hout Bay isn't as bad.

Going up from Constantia has a couple of alternatives which are better than the main road: Southern Cross Dr or Canterbury Dr (Bishops Court/Kirstenbosch).

So maybe do the route in the other direction.?[/quotecool, will work out something thanks????

Archived