"Hillcrest Durban"-MTB trails

DenzelM

Hi,

Can someone offer me some information about any trails in Hillcrest (around the highbury school knelsby Ave area).

Need to get some kms on my MTB.

Regards

Giba is very close (Access down the hill next to the Toyota dealership), but for some good miles I would use Summerveld and Shongweni suger cane.

Make sure you have the correct year/day pass before entering Shongweni.

Also best not to ride alone alone the lower sections near the farmers market, have had hassles there before with the locals.

You can ride around the koppie on the Shongweni side of Giba on the road and then drop down into Giba on the Blue trail and then climb out of Giba up to St. Heliers road. Then there is a way ( or...used to be as I havent done it for years ) to ride around the back of Hillcrest from St. Helliers road, and it brings you out on Rapson road. Difficult to explain this in this way if one is not familiar with the place.

There are a few loops (Not sure which are "legal" to ride anymore though...)

You used to be able to drop into the valley from either Knelsby/Rapson road and ride down towards the sewerage farm below Plantations. Then go up the concrete strips towards Shongweni Road, over the M13 and right onto a dirt road. At the end you would follow the single track back down into the valley and up towards the Shongweni estate. Alternately there was a gnarly little track from the sewerage farm road back down and under the M13 and up the hill to the estate buildings.

From there you go over the N3 and up to the lookout tower on top of the hill behind the Mushroom Farm and drop into Giba via the Blue Route.

Climb out on the dirt road to St Helliers and then tar/pavement back to Knelsby (or a sharp left up Longfordan Ave and follow the track next to the M13 back to Shongweni Road)

Haven't ridden in that area for a few years (We usually just go ride at Giba) and with land access nowadays I am not sure if you can still do it. Was a fun area to ride though.

Wherever you decide though, please pay the park/area access fees if you ride through. Loads of people drop into Giba from Hillcrest but not all of them pay the park fees.

There are a few loops (Not sure which are "legal" to ride anymore though...)

You used to be able to drop into the valley from either Knelsby/Rapson road and ride down towards the sewerage farm below Plantations. Then go up the concrete strips towards Shongweni Road, over the M13 and right onto a dirt road. At the end you would follow the single track back down into the valley and up towards the Shongweni estate. Alternately there was a gnarly little track from the sewerage farm road back down and under the M13 and up the hill to the estate buildings.

From there you go over the N3 and up to the lookout tower on top of the hill behind the Mushroom Farm and drop into Giba via the Blue Route.

Climb out on the dirt road to St Helliers and then tar/pavement back to Knelsby (or a sharp left up Longfordan Ave and follow the track next to the M13 back to Shongweni Road)

Haven't ridden in that area for a few years (We usually just go ride at Giba) and with land access nowadays I am not sure if you can still do it. Was a fun area to ride though.

Wherever you decide though, please pay the park/area access fees if you ride through. Loads of people drop into Giba from Hillcrest but not all of them pay the park fees.

Hi, thanks for this, I actually stay on Knelsby. I do see riders disappear at the end of the road always wondered were they went!