Help with cable

_freak_

A bit late to this discussion but as you may have found out to your dismay, despite what you were told, that no 11sp road STI shifters are NOT compatible with 11sp MTB rear derailleurs. The cable pull is different ... To my knowledge there is no 'bodge' as there is with 10sp STI's.

A note to keep in mind is that, at least in my experience, it will more than likely work with a 'goatlink' extender but the bigger you go the less 'crisp' the shifting will be. So if you're ok with that as I am, to save a few bucks, then go for it!

FWIW I think you can make this work with what you've got. The cage on that XT deraileur is plenty long enough for the chain required and the XT should accommodate the big cassette without an issue.

I run an 11-40 cassette with an ultegra derailleur and goattooth hanger extender and an 11-36 on a redrilled Di2 Ultegra derailleur without one. Those are roadie derailleurs, a MTB derailleur should fit a much bigger cassette.

This is the redrilling idea - the further you move the hole the more B-screw tension you get.

attachicon.gifder109.jpg

What happens when you put it all together? maybe if you let us know what's not working we can fix it.

FYI, the Di ratios are not the same as the cable pull...

A bit late to this discussion but as you may have found out to your dismay, despite what you were told, that no 11sp road STI shifters are NOT compatible with 11sp MTB rear derailleurs. The cable pull is different ... To my knowledge there is no 'bodge' as there is with 10sp STI's.

A note to keep in mind is that, at least in my experience, it will more than likely work with a 'goatlink' extender but the bigger you go the less 'crisp' the shifting will be. So if you're ok with that as I am, to save a few bucks, then go for it!

Thanks, I did speak to the guys at Rapide, and they will be getting in new stock later this week...

And according to them their extender can handle up to 50T, the "crisp" is not a big issue, I just need the range on my gravel bike...

Thanks, I did speak to the guys at Rapide, and they will be getting in new stock later this week...

And according to them their extender can handle up to 50T, the "crisp" is not a big issue, I just need the range on my gravel bike...

Then you'll be happy, and if Wayne says it will work then it will!

Flip. I'm planning to mate some of the new Tiagra hydraulic 10 speed shifters to an XT derailleur... now I'm wondering if I'm going to be wasting my money...

Flip. I'm planning to mate some of the new Tiagra hydraulic 10 speed shifters to an XT derailleur... now I'm wondering if I'm going to be wasting my money...

In that case just make sure you use a 9sp XT derailleur and it will work no problem in my experience anyway ...

Apparently mixing 11s will not work...

This is 11s Road (DuraAce)

post-5932-0-61213000-1563359072_thumb.jpg

This is 11s MTB (XTR)

post-5932-0-47939400-1563359079_thumb.jpg

I would have guessed that they would co-operate, so I've learned something here

Edited by 100Tours

In that case just make sure you use a 9sp XT derailleur and it will work no problem in my experience anyway ...

Thank you - great one!

10spd Sti works with 9spd Mtb rear derailer on Shimano.

Edited by Wannabe