Are Gielang Mountain Bikes Decent?

MTB mouse

Hi everyone

Hope you are all well. I am looking at getting back into the cycling routine but will be doing this as leisure with my family.

I have been doing some looking around and wanted to get my 2 kids and wife some decent mountain bikes. From what I have read seems the Makro, Game, etc bikes are not a good way to go. You know Totem, Raleigh etc.

I use to own a Giant MTB which was awesome and did me great pleasure in riding. I recently came across what I think is a good buy but not familiar with the brand "Gielang".

It's a 26 inch Gielang R-350 MTB. Front suspension fork, Hard tail, discs brakes all round, V rims, from the photos looks shimano equiped with twist grip gear changing. 21 speed and the brakes look decent as well.

I thought of getting these for my kids and wife as opposed to the cheap brands in the supermarkets.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. They going for about R2000.

Thank you peeps!

you talking about these?

never heard of them before but i guess for a kids bike it can be fine at that price. if you shop wisely you can get a entry level 29'r/650b bike for around 4-5k though...especially for the wife  id suggest not going too low spec.

in my experience if you have them riding the crappy/pass-me-downs they wont be riding for long since they wont be enjoying it much. 

post-64325-0-81367600-1567764966_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Hi everyone

Hope you are all well. I am looking at getting back into the cycling routine but will be doing this as leisure with my family.

I have been doing some looking around and wanted to get my 2 kids and wife some decent mountain bikes. From what I have read seems the Makro, Game, etc bikes are not a good way to go. You know Totem, Raleigh etc.

I use to own a Giant MTB which was awesome and did me great pleasure in riding. I recently came across what I think is a good buy but not familiar with the brand "Gielang".

It's a 26 inch Gielang R-350 MTB. Front suspension fork, Hard tail, discs brakes all round, V rims, from the photos looks shimano equiped with twist grip gear changing. 21 speed and the brakes look decent as well.

I thought of getting these for my kids and wife as opposed to the cheap brands in the supermarkets.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. They going for about R2000.

Thank you peeps!

Don't do it ....these will be sure to kill off any enthusiasim you might feel for cycling

Hi MorneS555

Yes that's the bikes. I tried to search but couldn't find much on them. Looks decent opposed to the type of bikes you find in places like Makro and the likes.

I agree with you in the regard of the pass-me-downs that would spoil the fun and kill the motivation. My wife is committed so she will join me regardless.

For the week rides and that sort of thing I thought these would be ok. 

Thanks gents for the advice

Would need to convince the wife on spending more if this is the case. Would love to get a few Giant MTB's again.

Funny enough though my Giant MTB was also twist grip and I never had any problems with that bike. I loved riding every chance I got.

What gear changing system would be recommended?

Kind regards Henry

Looks decent opposed to the type of bikes you find in places like Makro and the likes.

It's exactly the same type of thing.  If you want to enjoy riding, then stay away from this.  

Thanks gents for the advice

Would need to convince the wife on spending more if this is the case. Would love to get a few Giant MTB's again.

Funny enough though my Giant MTB was also twist grip and I never had any problems with that bike. I loved riding every chance I got.

What gear changing system would be recommended?

Kind regards Henry

Look for something with Shimano Alivio or Acera - at least. Look on the marketplace here as well. Could possibly, with some luck, pick up something with Deore or even XT here for the same money.

Hey guys just for some interest this Giant below was my first Giant when I was in high school

Please forgive the use of the picture as this is someone elses I just wanted to show the model I first rode. Exact same colours.

Brings back memories from those days.

hubmarket-128991-0-77061700-1567352724_m