Shoes for Eroica

Simon Kolin

Hi all Eroica riders

I have a question about shoes. I'm aware that Vittoria, Ekoi, etc, make new vintage type shoes. Have any of you had experience with these shoes?

The Ekoi are on special at the moment (-60%). Would it be worth the purchase and try to be as retro as possible or do I just use my ugly Sidis?

Thanks

Simon

post-20015-0-83103700-1567940772_thumb.jpg

Hi Simon, please post a link with the discounted Ekoi shoes

Yes please. They are very nice looking.

Yes please. They are very nice looking.

They are very pretty. The Vittoria are nicer shoes. They have a touring tread option which seems more practical for vintage pedals....but they are expensive.

post-20015-0-37085600-1567945661_thumb.jpg

I have kept an eye out for old shoes over the last year or 2 and found 2 pairs in the sized I was looking for, but they are not plentiful. Another option is to buy old soccer shoes if you can find them and simply take to the bottom of them with a belt sander. The uppers look just about the same and they are much nicer to walk in.

My two cents.

You WILL do a fair amount of walking. Around the venue, at the feeding spots and definitely up one or two steep hills.

I don't use my prized Sidi or Detto Pietro but have some plastic soled Brancale. The cleats get pretty mucked up.

A few of the guys have bought cheap as chips MTB shoes, the type that lace up or use Velcro fasteners which Velcro straps are removed and eyelid holes made to lace up. These shoes don't need a cleat and sort of look the part.

Many others use plain trainers which allow them to walk around without damaging hard to get cleats, etc.

I hadn't even thought that there would be so much walking, which now that you bring it up, is so obvious.

Ok, normal road shoes are out then. All that walking will be awkward and the soles will get seriously messed up.

I'm not going to wear trainers and I'm definitely too lazy to modify a cheap pair of shoes. Also, I'm too much of a snob to wear cheap shoes.

So the Vittoria with the Touring Sole will have to be the logical choice. Any idea who will stock these locally? I've seen them at Design In Motion a few months back.

Some of the Giro Empires also look the part, especially the black ones where the branding is almost invisible. Here, they sell for somewhere north of R3000

post-17716-0-47994700-1567948076_thumb.jpg

Some of the Giro Empires also look the part, especially the black ones where the branding is almost invisible. Here, they sell for somewhere north of R3000

Gosh, those are pretty.