Changing tyres

gparsons

Hey all. Some advice please. I have road tyres on my mtb with slime in the tubes. I want to change over to knobbly mtb tyres as I am off to Giba this weekend and need to deflate the tubes, remove the road tyres and put on the knobblies. How do I do this without getting slime coming out the tube, are the tubes reusable, will I need a new tube, etc, etc. Could anyone tell me what to expect and how best to do this.

Thanks!!

Hey all. Some advice please. I have road tyres on my mtb

HTF did you get road tyres onto your mtb wheel ?

Jabba you Mutt, I think he means MTB slicksLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I didn't, the bike shop did it for me Smile and they are not road tyres as such but road mtb tyresTongue. I have been riding to work and home on the bike and wanted mtb road tyres to make this trip less noisy and smoother. 

I would stand the wheel so that the valve is at the top 12 o'clock position for some time. This will let the slime run away from the valve. Then deflate the tube normally, there will be some slime escaping but not too much.

Remove the tube and tyre, replace with the new tyre, put the tube back and inflate as normal. Only possible problem could be size of the tube if the slick mtb tyres are smaller but I don't think it will be a problem.

If it is a schraeder valve then you will get some air out and then that slime is going to bung that valve up... unless they put vaseline on the valve itself before they put it back...

If it does, get a valve remover from the LBS and take the valve out to get the air out..

umm techno qstn ... if you have a tubeless tyre .. does that mean you will never get a flat?

Thanks KDEE, and I don't think so Slowbee because if there is a whole in your tyre it will still go flat (although as you can see I am no expert.... yet!).

qparson, also need to get expert. Doing K2C and need to find out if its better to have tubes with sealant, or go tubelss

With tubeless you eliminate pinch flats. The sealant in the tyre (similar to slime in tubes) takes care of the smaller punctures. You can still get a cut (mostly sidewall) which is to big for the sealant to seal, but that does not happen often.

Depending on the damage you can repair some holes which the sealant does not seal on its own with a plug. Else you can still put in a tube.

I have been using tubeless for approx 18 months now. Only had to do one repair during that time. Sealant took care of the rest, including a night time encounter with a porcupine! Smile

Ok so for someone who is challeneged technically - tubeless is the way to go. Dont have to worry about taking a tyre of in the middle of a race?

SB Me also not a techno person. When I bought my bike the shop advised me to go tubeless which I did and to date I have only had one flat when I road over some glass and cut the tube went down to my LBS to get a new tyre they took one look at it pulled out the super glue put it into the cut and bobs your uncle mixed with the sealant and I have done another 1000 kays on that tyre already.

You just have to go tubeless. I am currently using Kenda Small Block 8's going to convert to Hutchinson Python's b4 Trans Baviaans.

Cheers

SB Me also not a techno person. When I bought my bike the shop advised me to go tubeless which I did and to date I have only had one flat when I road over some glass and cut the tube went down to my LBS to get a new tyre they took one look at it pulled out the super glue put it into the cut and bobs your uncle mixed with the sealant and I have done another 1000 kays on that tyre already.

You just have to go tubeless. I am currently using Kenda Small Block 8's going to convert to Hutchinson Python's b4 Trans Baviaans.

Cheers

I have ignitors on the front and crossmark's on the back ... should I ask Mr Delivery to make them tubeless?

Then in all reality what happens when you get a flat on a ride? How tricky is it to get the tyre off? Should you then take tube's with you on the ride or patches?

Slowbee2008-06-27 02:15:58

Gp you must really consider going tubeless. Speak to your LBS and find out what the cost is. I converted my DS bike and the cost was about R300 for both rims including the slime. To date have not had any punctures. Only that one incident with my HT in two years.