Magura Brakes

Lomar Botha

Does anyone have magura mt 5’s

im looking at buying a set i currently have sram level tl brakes on my bike

want to know if the magura’s are worth it

I have MT7 pro, basically the same as the MT5. I absolutely love mine and works great. Not everyone is a fan of Magura, but I have had mine for over two years without any issues.

Pros: massive stopping power, light, looks insane and very comfortable levers and easily adjustable.

Cons: 4 individual brake pads can be tricky to setup. Self bleeding of brake needs some patience But once you have it sorted it won't fade for months.

It's a huge upgrade from the level TL. I have tested and owned a large number of brakesets and the only ones that comes close to the MT range would be Formula Cura and Hope brake sets

I will definitely recommend Magura or the Formula Cura...

Don't know the MT5, but I upgraded to MT7 (also 4-pot) front with 220 discs and MT8 rear. I had the Guide Ultimate before and there is no comparison.

My other bike has XTR. Same story.

To be fair the Ultimate and XTR are not meant to be downhill stoppers.

The bite, modulation and sheer stopping power of the Maguras is amazing.

Magura fan as well with MT7's on my AM Giant Reign......been thru SRAM XO, Guides and Trails with issues on each,(bust Bladders, squealing, overheating etc etc)

Pro's:

Ultimate in stopping power,

great modulation, you can feather them forever,

4 x pistons, more contact control,

Choice of single pads per piston or double pad for 2 pistons

easy to bleed,

tool-less lever reach adjust adjustment on OEM levers, need a tool for the other two

3 different levers to choose from,

left/right swapppable

Con's:

Expensive,

original pads expensive, not always available

Blue Royal Blood can be hard to find (in WC),

Bite point adjustment is not really that noticeable, only removes free play on lever 

you should run them on Magura's Storm discs which are slightly thicker than other discs but I seen some who use ~Shimano or other 200 front and back with no issues.

I only ever recall slight fading and heat accumulation on one particular day/trail, viz Grand Conche more commonly known as the Swiss National DH , one helleva descent which challenges even the best set of brakes,,,,,

Edited by capediver