Gunnite Pool Repair - DIY

New Landy new life

Hi All DIY'ers

Anyone tried repairing their own pool ?

If it is possible, what make of Product did you use to re-surface an old style gunnit pool ?

When I got divorced 3 years ago, I returned from Nigeria to an abandoned house and pool that was left to go green and I never had the will for the first year to get it sorted.

The pool has a fair amount of deepish pitting caused by black algae and a couple  cracks here and there.

I also have a row of small tiles that are faded and missing that I would like to replace.

The pool is 8 x 3.5m x 2.5 m deep  (Penguine)

Is the cost to repair worth the resale on a house, or best just to fill it in.

Thanks.

We had a gunnite pool, and also wanted to redo it. Decided eventually to resurface it with fibreglass. The structure was still sound, and any leaks were sorted out with the fibreglass. 3 years later and still no issues. Maybe something to consider.

We had a gunnite pool, and also wanted to redo it. Decided eventually to resurface it with fibreglass. The structure was still sound, and any leaks were sorted out with the fibreglass. 3 years later and still no issues. Maybe something to consider.

Fibreglass has advantages over conventional cementious based solutions such as algae resistance, heat retention, easier to clean and flexibility. The latter is also it's downfall as it can de-laminate from the substructure so it is important to ensure a very good bond to the substructure which can be achieved by doweling , unfortunately there are very few contractors that do this.

Marbellite needs a skilled team to apply it, has to be done one-time, then filled with water, mission! Best get a contractor who does this every day, you can do the prep., but it is the most long lasting solution.

Other option is like a cement based coating ,as mentioned Cemcrete have a range, this is more suitable for DIY.

Otherwise epoxy paint can produce nice results, also needs good prep though.

Cracks: surface cracks or structural? structural needs surgical repairs, one method is to cut into the structure, seal with a product from Cemcrete, but some braces in (i've used 10mm SS bar U shaped) - if you want to fix it properly.

I don't know if Cemcrete has a branch in CT but they have lots of products and info.

Edited by kosmonooit