Flat tire and rims

Kate1

Yesterday I was cycling and didn’t realize my back wheel was flat how long can you cycle with a flat wheel and not damage the rims? And what happens will the rims crack?

Damn, you must weigh nothing. Normally if you get a flat you will be on the rim immediately and you will feel a significant loss of control and a very hard ride.

So I suspect it was a slow puncture and it is now just very soft.

On a road bike my 100+kg means I can probably limp home on about 2bar on a road bike and and about 0.3 Bar on an MTB.

Bottom line is if you got home OK just fix it and carry on. No harm no foul.

You WILL know if you have a proper flat as you cannot ride it any further.

A flat tyre will squirm on the rim which can result in severe friction between the rim crotchets and the tyre sidewall just above the bead area. Check this area of the tyre (inner and outer) for material sidewall damage, normally long cuts in the fabric just above the tyre bead. Sidewall damage further up the sidewalls to the shoulder are could also result, usually evident as diagonal casing threads being visible under the rubber film og the casing. Trash the tyre if any of these is evident.