Cycling with a hip replacement ndcdrop foot

JCHARL

Ok so I'm starting to cycle for the first time with a right hip replacement ndcleft drop foot. Please share some tips nd advice. I'm in Rooderpoort also want to join a club. Thank you ????

Charl best to stay in contact with your medical team.  They are best in advising YOU what your prognosis is and what your options are.

Some people come back from a hip replacement and ride trails a few months later, others have a longer road to recovery.

Thanks to modern technology an e-bike is an option if you are in the latter category.  Yes, main stream brands are off their rockers with their pricing, but there are better priced options out there.

Wishing all the best on your road to recovery.

Hi Charl, I had both hips done at the same time a few years back. My key lessons were to see a biokinetecist sooner rather than later. I had listened to the surgeon very carefully (fear) and had not started strength excercises soon enough, ending up with a strange gait and having to learn how to walk like a human being again.

I started cycling pretty soon afterwards +- 3 months, but was very unsure of myself so just used the bike to get motion into the hips, nice and light, no long distances, no hills etc. it felt really odd at first! Key thing is to be able to prevent yourself from falling on the hip, so careful with toeclips and clipless pedals - i had limited sideways movement without some pain so rode on flat pedals for a while.

After a fairly long road of recovery my performance on the bike (not at the levels of the guys on this forum) was much better than pre the operation - no friction!

best of luck!!!

I had a left hip replacement in September last year from a fall . I was off my bike for 9 weeks as suggested by the surgeon and physiotherapist. The exercise i was given to do is essential  as the strength you lose will only come slowly when doing those small movements and eventually they become bigger and easier and so you move on to the next set of exercises . Lifting your leg 25mm off the bed seems like a useless exercise but very necessary in the long run . I started riding my indoor bike at 9 weeks for 30 min twice a day for one week . I then got on my Mtb bike and rode 20 km daily for 2 weeks on the road .By the end of November i was riding 40 km daily and getting back to full strength and fitness . Listen and feel your body  it will tell you if you overdo it ,then rest a day or two and get back on the bike and ride . I have ridden  with a few guys with replacement's and the best coined fraise is "its a forgotten joint in a years time " In my case its exactly that as im doing 1300km monthly with no after effects at all . As one Hubber rightfully said avoid falling again   .Good luck and keep pedaling .