Silverback Stride HD 29" 2021 Advice?

RoscoSpecmagic

Good afternoon all, 

I am looking to get into cycling and recently tested the Silverback Stride 29" HD bicycle. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, and I am looking at doing 2 rides a week (Road and Trail). The bike is selling for R7999. 

Any tips/advice with regards to this bike? Is it a good starter bike? 

Many thanks,

Silverback-stride-29-hd.png

It would probably be OK. 

• Hydro formed, custom Butted 6061 Aluminium frame
  • VAXA 860 Coil, 100mm travel, HL/O, Tapered steerer
  • Surface Triple crankset, 42/34/24tT
  • MICROshift RD M21L 2/3 x 6/7speed rear derailleur
  • Sunrace 7spd
  • Surface Symmetrical Alloy, 23mm wheels, TR
  • Adapted POP geometry
  • Jieke NUTT Hydraulic Disc Brakes, 160/160mm rotors,
  • Surface Symmetrical Double wall alloy, 23mm ID, Tubeless Ready
  • CST C1820 2.35" higher volume tyres
  • Surface Comfort saddle

The fork and the brakes are about the cheapest you can get - the same that can be found on an even cheaper bicycle.

I am not too familiar with the MICROshift derailleurs but based on the spec/brand of the other components I would hazard a guess that it is pretty much as basic as it gets as well.

I have a 2018 Silverback Stride MD which my wife now uses. It has a ZOOM fork (VAXA seems to be the same thing). It is a terrible fork. It has Shimano Tourney gears which I was not impressed with either. It came with Tektro mechanical brakes which are also entry level but I have no complaints there, they work very well.

Define trails you will be riding on and how hard you are going to go. I had the previous model of the Stride and in 6 months had a couple of broken axles, a busted bottom bracket an my hands regularly got sore from the cheap brakes going downhill. If you are serious about trail riding save up and get something better the difference between cheap, passable and good are well worth it.

Edited by Newbie321

28 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Define trails you will be riding on and how hard you are going to go. I had the previous model of the Stride and in 6 months had a couple of broken axles, a busted bottom bracket an my hands regularly got sore from the cheap brakes going downhill. If you are serious about trail riding save up and get something better the difference between cheap, passable and good are well worth it.

Mechanical brakes do give your hands a beating. The ones on my Stride do work well though but requires stronger input. 

31 minutes ago, RoscoSpecmagic said:

With the fork being super cheap, have you had to replace it? 

No not at all. It still works as it did at the start. It is just a very budget fork with a harsh,  unforgiving coil spring. Rough trails will give your forearms and wrists a workout.