Duties on helmets

Oomkool

Does anyone know if the import duties for mtb helmets have changed like the motorbike helmet tariffs?

Attached is a screenshot from the SARS page re motorbike helmets and motorsport helmets but nothing about cycling. 1493026198_Screenshot2021-10-05at11_04_36.png.18368bcaf35302c609c2368e0db06e3d.png

6506.10.90 - Other - 25% duty...

We have discussed it with our clearing agents - no way that we can use the motorcycle helmet tariffs.

Edited by RookieSports.co.za

It can also depend on origin of the helmet, if helmet is made in the EU and the company has a EUR1 certificate you may be able to get this at a reduced rate.

1 minute ago, Bikalot said:

It can also depend on origin of the helmet, if helmet is made in the EU and the company has a EUR1 certificate you may be able to get this at a reduced rate.

Unfortunately from US.

26 minutes ago, RookieSports.co.za said:

We have discussed it with our clearing agents - no way that we can use the motorcycle helmet tariffs.

is this not a motor cycle?

China 24 Inch Fat Foldable Ebike - China Electric Bike, Folding Fat Bike

Tried an argument similar like this - one must look at what will it ordinarily be used for (and in our situation marketed and sold for which use). I would most likely try this if you import a 1 or 2 helmets, but not with a few hundred, chances of inspections are too high and related charges quickly pile up defeating the purpose.

27 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

is this not a motor cycle?

China 24 Inch Fat Foldable Ebike - China Electric Bike, Folding Fat Bike

Tried an argument similar like this - one must look at what will it ordinarily be used for (and in our situation marketed and sold for which use). I would most likely try this if you import a 1 or 2 helmets, but not with a few hundred, chances of inspections are too high and related charges quickly pile up defeating the purpose.

2 hours ago, Oomkool said:

Does anyone know if the import duties for mtb helmets have changed like the motorbike helmet tariffs?

Attached is a screenshot from the SARS page re motorbike helmets and motorsport helmets but nothing about cycling. 1493026198_Screenshot2021-10-05at11_04_36.png.18368bcaf35302c609c2368e0db06e3d.png

Wonder if local motorcycle helmet retailers/bike shops will be adjusting their prices seeing they'll be paying less duty ????

Edited by NeverNotRolling

1 minute ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Wonder if local motorcycle retailers/bike shops will be adjusting their prices seeing they'll be paying less duty ????

Doubt it

Ok, so ordered the helmet and paid R3600 incl delivery from the UK. Just got a mail from DHL that duties+vat and some random 10% extra is R1800. It’s definitely not worth buying helmets from outside the country.

1 hour ago, Oomkool said:

Ok, so ordered the helmet and paid R3600 incl delivery from the UK. Just got a mail from DHL that duties+vat and some random 10% extra is R1800. It’s definitely not worth buying helmets from outside the country.

I'll use this as another example of people denying that there is a 10% 'admin' fee when using  ups or dhl express. (not picking on you spicifically...just something that comes up in other threads often). Thats why when i shop across the ponds and know ill be using DHL express etc...i work on 25% all in before shipping. That gives you a worst case scenario. Sometimes it's a bit less, but it's never more.  15% vat and 10% "random extras' lol. You are paying DHL to handle the clearing process on your behalf.  

Edited by MORNE

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I'll use this as another example of people denying that there is a 10% 'admin' fee when using  ups or dhl express. (not picking on you spicifically...just something that comes up in other threads often). Thats why when i shop across the ponds and know ill be using DHL express etc...i work on 25% all in before shipping. That gives you a worst case scenario. Sometimes it's a bit less, but it's never more.  15% vat and 10% "random extras' lol. You are paying DHL to handle the clearing process on your behalf.  

On 10/5/2021 at 11:32 AM, RookieSports.co.za said:

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

You would think DHL’s fees were calculated when the sale was made.

yes sorry. my example is based on bike parts..as in 0% ' import tax'. so only 15% VAt...but as mentioned...there is always a ± 10% admin fee that is applied

so 25% duties+ 15 % VAt+ 10% admin charge doesnt make it worth while at all. 

general rule of thumb is to stay clear of anything that has a local manufaturing market. clothing and helmets fall squarly in this bubble. They do this to protect the local industry. My mother sent us baby cloths from OZ in JAN. 70% duties hahaha. told her but she wanted to out of principle. with Duties, VAT and shipping we could have bought 4 times the amount of crap she sent.