Spy007

Trying to buy one

Any one know where i can get one? For a few projects i am working on

According to them they are not selling at the moment. makes no sense

so is there an alternative or any one know where i can get one or a few

Thanks

Update:

Highly disappointed:

You can not buy individual bikes anymore and they only sell in batches of 10. so anyone wanting to help a gardener or individual can not unless you want to drop 50k

Also the price has gone up from the 2850 to 5k

So any one know of an alternative

Edited by Spy007

Hi, you can DM me. I have a contact who can help, either with the traditional frame or something similar, depending on the project. 

8 minutes ago, binxc said:

Hi, you can DM me. I have a contact who can help, either with the traditional frame or something similar, depending on the project. 

Just want to get one and plan some marketing. I work for a german company that already sponsers Mercy Ships Africa and as we focus on Africa i want to do some projects to help locally but also when i travel in Africa.

For now only need one.

But Cant believe they have cut out individual sales as it makes no sense. I have contacted the branch offices in Kenya and Zim already and waiting their feedback as I have a small budget but have in the past done similar when i am in country

I think there are stock issues with the frames. They were previously manufactured locally in SA by RBC but as far as I know, that project was impacted by the pandemic. The current stock is getting out for donations only. 

So have now received some feedback

Interesting

We do not do the Buffalo Bicycle any longer. We stopped doing it in 2016. It weighs 22kg and some parts started failing at about 5000km. We designed our own bicycle, built our own factories in South Africa. Bicycle is now 16kg and parts last more than 20,000km.

Received from the zim office

Yes indeed you may purchase 1 bike.

Single speed Universal black is US$210 and 6 speed Charger silver is US$225.

Am i missing something here?

image.png.63a6ad7354d6dbd7698c57930f8b9648.png

7 hours ago, Spy007 said:

So have now received some feedback

Interesting

We do not do the Buffalo Bicycle any longer. We stopped doing it in 2016. It weighs 22kg and some parts started failing at about 5000km. We designed our own bicycle, built our own factories in South Africa. Bicycle is now 16kg and parts last more than 20,000km.

ok sure. so the Nederburg facility opened in feb 2017. so what happened there, you can't buy from their site either

seems there are a few gys doing independent things. Some bring in 2de hand cycles and then there is bike4all

actually sad.

I have had a call from Ron one of the original started of this and he has pointed me in the right direction

There is a lot of confusion, it seems. Originally Qhubeka was part of World Bicycle Relief, who provided the original Buffalo bicycles (the 25kg models). Several years ago, Qhubeka split from WBR and stopped using Buffalo bicycles, switching to locally manufactured frames which were just as durable but much lighter, around 16kg, with better, longer-lasting components. This was over 5 years ago. The Nederberg facility and others like it are assembly plants, meaning that the frames and components were shipped there, assembled, and then sent out for distribution via various charitable pathways. The manufacturing at the RBC factory was affected by Covid, as well as the supply of components, meaning that the assembly of bicycles has not been happening as it should have been. The charitable distributions were restarted towards the end of last year. One hope that the bicycles for sale to the general public will resume once things shift back to normal. 

SO here are some replies i have received from people contacted

What is sad you want to assist by perhaps buying a bicycle or sponsoring one and in the end it seems it might be easier to go buy one at a makro or such.

World Bicycle relief

Hi, and thank you for reaching out. We do not currently have any shops in South Africa. The closest shops would be in Zimbabwe. However, other organizations, such as Quebeka, do work in South Africa. Please let me know if we can help further.

Ben Bikes CT

Interesting they have a "utility bike: that i requested

this is in theory similar to the Buffalo bike

Good day Luigi,

We have 2nd hand bicycles available from R650 upwards.  They are not assembled, no returns and card payment only.  You are welcome to visit our premises at

Pedal power

At the moment we don’t have any stock available.

I would suggest contacting your local bike shop for an Avalanche Charge 10.

Edited by Spy007

• 1 year later...

You can no longer buy the original Buffalo bicycles which were supplied by WBR, as Qhubeka has moved to a different frame. I can put you in contact with the people distributing the new Qhubeka bicycles. Welcome to DM me to discuss further.