63cm Road bike

Anthony Muylaert

I'm 1.97 tall and weigh 118kg, looking for a road bicycle that will last 10 years...struggling to find as my budgets is only 12k...should I look at building slowly amd where could I get a frame go start?

Any preference for road or mountain bike?

Look at the Classifieds here: you can definitely find a bike for around R12K. If you are in Cape Town consider speaking with Nils from Woodstock Cycleworks, he will be able to set you in the right direction. 

At 197 (im the same distance from the floor) don't settle for anything under a size 62. Trust me on that one. My gravel bike is a 64cm and i have a 62cm vintage road bike…and although i can make the 62 work…i wont exactly call it a comfortable fit. It feels cramped to me after i got the bigger bike.

It obviously also depends on your inseam measurements. Google how to measure tour cycling inseam. If you are ‘short legged’ with longer torso and arms(ape index)…you MIGHT get away with something a size too small if you put a longer stem on there with some setback on the saddle. But like in my case…if your inseam is 950mm+ And your pedal to saddle measurement around 1040mm, rather go for the tallest frame you can because even on a 64cm frame I have a decent amount of seat post showing.

as an example, i have a cousin thats taller than me at well over 2m, but he has a shorter inseam so can get away with riding normal size XL bikes where i most often than not need xxl’s

I'm 193, pedal to saddle of dead on 1000mm and ride a size L Giant Propel.
I've got a racing fit on that bike, but for a similarly aggressive fit XL should easily take someone up to 2m with a similar ape factor to myself.

Back in the day they measured road bike frames on the seat tube (centre of bottom bracket to end - seat post insert) Sometimes those "63cm" frames nearly has a 60cm effective top tube...

At your length, you should also look for a steerer tube at least 22cm and above

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

I'm 193, pedal to saddle of dead on 1000mm and ride a size L Giant Propel.
I've got a racing fit on that bike, but for a similarly aggressive fit XL should easily take someone up to 2m with a similar ape factor to myself.

“ race fit” 

no thanks lol

30 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

At your length, you should also look for a steerer tube at least 22cm and above

This!!! 

You need the stack height otherwise you’ll have a crazy saddle to bar drop…or as these fast guys like to call it…”race fit” 😅

this is such a neglected part of the puzzle on modern bikes for taller people…but i get why they make the headtubes and ultematly the stack ‘too low’. it’s because you then need a fork with a 350mm+ steerer and thats usually non-standard too. 

my 62cm bike has a 200mm head tube but a taller quill i can get up higher, the 64 has a 240mm but it had it’s own custom carbon fork.