Crime Escalation in Langebaan

jonami

Good Afternoon:

Please note we are starting to experience an escalation in attacks on cyclists within the Langebaan area.

1) Monday 18 April 2022 at approx 10:15 a female cyclist was accosted by two males on a tarred cycle path off Oostewal Road (main entrance road) outside Seaview Park (commonly known as Hopland).

The cyclist refused to hand over her bicycle and was assisted by another cyclist and a motorist.

The perpatrators ran off and could not be located by local SAPS.

2) Male cyclist was accosted and assaulted on Langebaan entrance road near Engen One Stop, by a single assailant.

The perpetrator made off with the bicycle, but was apprehended by SANPARKS rangers and a motorist who stopped to assist.

The cyclist has been seriously injured.

The perpetrator is in SAPS custody and a formal docket opened.

The bicycle was recovered.

We are currently experiencing an unsettling crime spike within Langebaan.

I would like to caution all who visit our area to please keep your items safe, cycle within the West Coast National Park, the Langebaan Country Estate or make sure you are cycling in numbers.

Many bicycles have been reported stolen, few have been recovered and the new attacks on cyclists is very concerning.

We are trying to give it priority attention with our local law enforcement agencies and government as well as our Neighourhood Watch, Team Langebaan Neighourhood Watch.

Kind Regards

Jon Amira 

Cycleworx Langebaan