Magalies Monster 1st timer

Jan Myburgh

With all the talk about Breeds Neck, road conditions, I have never done the Magalies Monster but I intend to do it this year. 

I know it is considered a technical race, and the cumulative ascent is obvious.  

In terms of technicality, how would it compare to Buffel at Buffelsdrift? 

Would be interesting to hear from those that have done it before. 

Monster has the one long climb (+-5km ??) that you do not have at Buffelsdrift. However, I found that was not the one that is tough. Later in the race you get 2 more short steepish climbs that will drain you. Those can be compared to the climbs you will get at Buffelsdrift.

Regarding technical, I think Buffelsdrift is a little more technical on the downhills. Monster has a technical descent after the long climb, and a couple after the other two climbs, but, in my view, slightly easier than buffelsdrift.

I found the track, or lack of it, leading up to the area close to Breedts Nek quite hard going.

And then some of the downhills were quite technical, where a number of people walk it.