Safest Route Out to the Cradle

MudLark

Hi guys,

What is the safest route out to the Cradle and back from Johannesburg's northern suburbs? Road and MTB. I'll be riding from the Croft & Co area.

Any good place to find a GPX file?

Cheers,

ML

22 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Thank you but its a closed group and I can't access any of their ride data/segments.

You can go out to Cradle on road via Hendrik Potgieter, Ondekkers or William Nicol/Cedar road. Ondekkers most dangerous and Cedar probably least dangerous,

For MTB you can go via Beyers Naude or Cedar then out the back of Broadacres. Careful at the informal settlement when going Beyers. 

2 minutes ago, jcza said:

You can go out to Cradle on road via Hendrik Potgieter, Ondekkers or William Nicol/Cedar road. Ondekkers most dangerous and Cedar probably least dangerous,

For MTB you can go via Beyers Naude or Cedar then out the back of Broadacres. Careful at the informal settlement when going Beyers. 

Thank you very much. 

Park at Mellow Velo (Broadacres)

then down cedar, join the mtb, back. Arrowsshow where the MTB trail starts, takes you round, and back. 

image.png.a5e2f70f93d8ec71edfa8e82af1a49ff.png

For road riding I reckon going out you can try Smuts up William Nicol to Witkoppen and Cedar Road from there. Road works a pain on cedar but still best route out imo. Early enough traffic shouldnt be a problem. Cold might be in winter though. The way back also might not be pleasant in re traffic. Maybe finding a combination of side streets that works for you... e.g. cedar to witkoppen to kingfisher, robin, leslie, hornbill, etc etc. Google earth/maps great to get a sense of how arterial a route is and get an idea of traffic, road width, and also safety of areas passing through..

Cedar and R114 intersection is complete, no more gravel challenge section - boring but bike stays clean at least. 

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to respond. I'll mostly likely be riding on an older spez Diverge with 35mm tyres so a bit of mild gravel or shoulder riding is an option. But will sometimes also use a MonsterCross bike or MTB. Will check out the suggested routes on google maps etc.

Or drive out and park at the multitude of venues out there and avoid the dodgy bits of traffic? As demonstrated above, plenty of people ride out but lots also drive out. I'm lucky...I live on the Cradle route itself so best of both worlds for me!

You're welcome to drop me a whatsapp on 0834731930 and I will add you to our ride group. We often ride from Broadacres or Pedal and Sprocket 

Kind regards, 

Manny 

@ACE Cycles

Manny, is that MTB, road or both?
Just moved to Lonehill, recently got a MTB and would be good to meet up / cycle with some people in the area. 

16 minutes ago, JRN89 said:

@ACE Cycles

Manny, is that MTB, road or both?
Just moved to Lonehill, recently got a MTB and would be good to meet up / cycle with some people in the area. 

Road, MTB, gravel. Lots of MTB this time of year