Tubeless on road rims but NOT for high pressure

NotSoBigBen

The wheels look the dogs bullocks as you say.glad to see you paying attention to the small details now valves at 6° name over valves BUT WHY OH WHY GREEN valve caps.

Just something to keep in mind

i also use the Sram pressure guide - but be aware. the tires i have tried do not officially support pressures being that low.

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

for road it calculates my front at 3.95 Bar and the rear at 4.2 Bar.

i run my tires are 4 bar at the front and 4.5bar at the rear to be safe - those pressures destroyed Spez tubro cotton tires side wall in the space of 400km

on my gravel bike it calcs out to 1.87Bar and 1.99Bar

on the Maxxis tire it is clearly labeled min pressure at 35psi or 2.41Bar

i have yet to find a tire that states lower pressures in line with Zipps calcs

Edited by Lanoy Sports

32 minutes ago, Lanoy Sports said:

Just something to keep in mind

i also use the Sram pressure guide - but be aware. the tires i have tried do not officially support pressures being that low.

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

for road it calculates my front at 3.95 Bar and the rear at 4.2 Bar.

i run my tires are 4 bar at the front and 4.5bar at the rear to be safe - those pressures destroyed Spez tubro cotton tires side wall in the space of 400km

on my gravel bike it calcs out to 1.87Bar and 1.99Bar

on the Maxxis tire it is clearly labeled min pressure at 35psi or 2.41Bar

i have yet to find a tire that states lower pressures in line with Zipps calcs

Spez turbo cottons are as fragile as rice paper. They puncture if you just think about anything vaguely sharp.

I know you're an importer and knower of things, but if the sidewall is showing signs of being beaten up, surely that is a sign you're getting serious tire roll and need to up the pressures?

Low pressures are cool and all that but the balance/sweet spot is compliance while maintaining shape?

Surely you can feel the tire roll when you corner and it's an immediate 'I should add some air to find the sweet spot' moment?

I did a race (Amashova) and literally saw how one guy's front tire came off the rim at a high speed corner. I saw the tire was next to the rim (inside the fork). happened just in front of me and I was lucky to escape one m@erse crash. But as said that was at the front of the race and hard core racing.

The above incident  give me flashbacks of my first getto tubeless conversion on my 26er with wired tires.(yes I also don't just believe people, and like to try stuff myself first) front tire come off at a technical section.... eish my gat af geva👀  

Moral of the stories : just because it holds the air does not make it save...🙃

Edited by Mongoose!

37 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Spez turbo cottons are as fragile as rice paper. They puncture if you just think about anything vaguely sharp.

I know you're an importer and knower of things, but if the sidewall is showing signs of being beaten up, surely that is a sign you're getting serious tire roll and need to up the pressures?

Low pressures are cool and all that but the balance/sweet spot is compliance while maintaining shape?

Surely you can feel the tire roll when you corner and it's an immediate 'I should add some air to find the sweet spot' moment?

I can't say i noticed and tire roll at all. i weigh 67kgs and had no issues racing VA at those pressures. 

i pump the tires regularly as i don't want to get caught out at to low a pressure.

The damage to the sidewall was also pretty much invisible as it was hidden by the rim itself - granted the rim was a hooked Roval CLX 50 rim and that helped bite into the tire.

i only found it out by luck when cleaning the bike - fibres on the side wall were then washed/brushed upward and became visible.

100% agree on the balance - i think there is still. lot to learn on the tubeless front.

a rubber sidewall is a far better option vs cotton 

Tubeless setups with non-tubeless tyres and non-tubeless rims make me very nervous. The stuff I've seen....

The rims pictured by the OP do look like they're designed to work in a tubeless fashion, which is good though.

For proper road use, (25-30c tyres) make sure they're tubeless ready, and the rims too.

As per everyone's comments I did specify that they were for road use but NOT high pressure ... for 'proper' road use I'm an old style tubed 25mm gatorskin guy at 100 psi front and back type of guy