Shipping the bike to SA from Europe?

Catty

Hi all,

It might be a bit of unusual question. I am doing Swiss Epic in August this year (and I know they'd probably give you a big race bag and that would end up with more luggage than even I'd come with). 

The problem is, I need to go to Warsaw and then Ukraine for a couple months afterwards (probably fly to Warsaw and take a train from there - yes, you can get in just not by air), and that logistic includes a lot of stopovers / transport changes, it's a long hard way already. I will not need the bike or any of it there.

I was wondering if there is a way to send my bike back to Cape Town once I'm done with the race and then go ahead with my small luggage? Would make things a ton easier.... 

I checked a couple companies, I also checked what UPS charges online - it is more than a round trip to get to SA and back!

Anyone done something like this? Like shipping your bike to here from elsewhere?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Kate

You could look at Seven Seas but that might be too large a space for what you want to send home. Otherwise a company called U Bag sends excess baggage - it's not the cheapest but easier than carting it all over the world with you

Best would be to find someone else that is doing the race as well (there must be other South Africans going), and ask them to fly your bike back with them, and you pay for their excess baggage. If you use any of the courrier options, the bike will need to go through customs and you will be charged import duties.

There are self storage facilities in Geneva and Zurich (don't know where you are flying out of)

Zurich has luggage storage at the airport but the pricing is... Um.... Challenging.

Like the previous poster said. First prize is probably to get a fellow saffer to lug the bike back for you. You'll have to avail yourself of the luggage rates of the airline. I did this for a friend in 2019 and he paid 90Euro. We flew Turkish and that is the standard bike charge. so 2 bikes = 180 Euro. Which is actually ok. With some airlines the wording is somewhat vague and you don't actually know what you are in for when you arrive at the airport.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

11 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

Best would be to find someone else that is doing the race as well (there must be other South Africans going), and ask them to fly your bike back with them, and you pay for their excess baggage. If you use any of the courrier options, the bike will need to go through customs and you will be charged import duties.

Yep I am doing it with my partner who is flying back to CPT straight after. I did not ask him because I was sure he would get in trouble with customs carrying 2 bikes...?

Maybe not then it's a really good option :)

10 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

There are self storage facilities in Geneva and Zurich (don't know where you are flying out of)

Zurich has luggage storage at the airport but the pricing is... Um.... Challenging.

Like the previous poster said. First prize is probably to get a fellow saffer to lug the bike back for you. You'll have to avail yourself of the luggage rates of the airline. I did this for a friend in 2019 and he paid 90Euro. We flew Turkish and that is the standard bike charge. so 2 bikes = 180 Euro. Which is actually ok. With some airlines the wording is somewhat vague and you don't actually know what you are in for when you arrive at the airport.

Yes it is usually 90-150 EUR with normal airlines, Qatar does it for free! I fly a lot with my bike... just did not want to put the trouble on anyone so was exploring options.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:11 PM, shaper said:

Consider hiring a bike for your race as will likely be cheaper

Oh no, I love mine too much :)

On 7/26/2022 at 6:57 PM, Sydd said:

You could look at Seven Seas but that might be too large a space for what you want to send home. Otherwise a company called U Bag sends excess baggage - it's not the cheapest but easier than carting it all over the world with you

Thanks so much, will check it out!

17 hours ago, Catty said:

Yep I am doing it with my partner who is flying back to CPT straight after. I did not ask him because I was sure he would get in trouble with customs carrying 2 bikes...?

Maybe not then it's a really good option :)

Shouldn't be a problem. I have brought friends bike back with my own before with no problems