Somerset West danger areas

nox1111

Hey guys,

I ride around SSW often and have a Winelands Regional permit, but I'm not one of the Wannabees members, so I don't have privy to their information.

Can anyone update us on danger areas or areas to be cautious in and around Somerset West, R44 etc?

Much appreciated!

4 hours ago, nox1111 said:

Hey guys,

I ride around SSW often and have a Winelands Regional permit, but I'm not one of the Wannabees members, so I don't have privy to their information.

Can anyone update us on danger areas or areas to be cautious in and around Somerset West, R44 etc?

Much appreciated!

R44 as in between Somerset West and Stellenbosch ?  Or towards the other side ?

I ride the section between Somerset West and Stellenbosch regularly, mostly turning off at a strawberry farm towards Kuilsriver.

Nice wide yellow section.  Cars allow nice space.

And ... touch wood ... no issues to date.

I am looking at safe routes from there to Gordons Bay .... to get to Clarence drive ....

23 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

R44 as in between Somerset West and Stellenbosch ?  Or towards the other side ?

I ride the section between Somerset West and Stellenbosch regularly, mostly turning off at a strawberry farm towards Kuilsriver.

Nice wide yellow section.  Cars allow nice space.

And ... touch wood ... no issues to date.

I am looking at safe routes from there to Gordons Bay .... to get to Clarence drive ....

For Clarence drive its best to drive to Gordonsbay and stop there by Spur, and cycle from there. The section past greenways is always dodge.

4 hours ago, nox1111 said:

Hey guys,

Much appreciated!

I try to cycle Helderberg / Somerbosch regulary , with no issues in the past 4 years+ cycling there.

There however was an incident or 2 near the water treatment plant on the wannabees trails a while back if I remember correctly.  

No issues on Helderberg.

Cycled the R44 quite a bit as well without any issues. We usually just skipped the Lord Charles section and opted for Old Stellenbosch road and climb back on the R44 at Irene Road.

If you are a Winelands trail permit holder, you can contact Esme to add you the the Telegram group. That way you can stay up to date with issues, trail closures etc.