63 years old, weigh 120 kg, 2 m tall, live by the beach

Adrian John du Toit

62 years and 120kg...you stated that you already have some issues with your knees/joints.

I will suggest that comfort is one aspect you should focus on more than anything else.

Stay away from anything "race" orientated. I take it that you are not planning on finishing any races with a podium finish? This is more a "getting fit and healthy" type bike riding?

Also keep in mind that bikes have a structural weight limit that includes the weight of the bike, rider, waterbottles and any other gear. For example: Some Orbea models have a limit of 130kg, some Trek models have a limit of 136kg, some Specialized models have a limit of 120kg. It is important to note that this weight limit is the rider + the bike + any riding gear.

The weight limit differs between models and frame types for most makes and the above are just examples of certain models.

I suggest you look at a bike with dual suspension with the aim of being comfortable over speed. 100mm travel front and rear as a minimum starting point. With the flip of a switch you can lockout your suspension... you can always turn a full suspension bike into a hard bike, but you cannot turn a hardtail or bike with no suspension into a suspension bike.

Another option...E-bikes. I am not sure how your fitness levels are or endurance. They are a bit heavier, but can carry more weight and they can help you with climbs and long rides if you run out of energy.

The other thing to consider is maintenance. The more stuff you have on a bike and the more complicated things are the more maintenance you need and for more parts of the bike. Make sure you get a bike that can be serviced and maintained by a place close to where you live.

It is a tough choice as the market is flooded with choices and models and it all can be very confusing.

I wish you all the best and hope you find your perfect bike very soon.

P.S. When you do find your bike, go for a professional bike fit. This will sort out a lot of issues. It will help to setup the bike according to your body. It really helps a lot and can prevent injuries. It also helps a lot with you being more comfortable on the bike with positioning.

Edited by Tandemuis
Bike fitting

23 hours ago, Adrian John du Toit said:

Ja, I wanna have fun, I live in Grotto Bay,  sandy paths all over and path to the beach that leads all the the way to yzerfontein, well almost. I guess the corrosion and sand can be problematic with plenty maintenance.

my dad has this.

20inch folding fat ebike

https://www.bransonholdings.co.za/product/folding-20-fat/

it's a basic branded model, plenty of other ones with different paint/stickers. There is a guy in melkbos who sells them, best place to start in my mind.

otherwise for a bit more this could work too

https://www.chilledsquirrel.com/ebikeshop#!/MINI-SANDEATER/p/437753815/category=142341130

He takes it on the road, but as we have a strandhuisie in Yzers, it has seen a lot of smiles up 16 mile beach.

As an actual bike, it is a piece of crap. You can ride it without even pedalling much too.

BUT it is the only bike he will ever ride. so it is the best bike for him.

For R20k you will get a good feel for what you want, If you really want to go further and trade up then you will lose a bit of money on a resale but better than dumping R100k upfront.

2 hours ago, Tandemuis said:

P.S. When you do find your bike, go for a professional bike fit. This will sort out a lot of issues. It will help to setup the bike according to your body. It really helps a lot and can prevent injuries. It also helps a lot with you being more comfortable on the bike with positioning.

If I can add to this with me being 2.03 and 124kg

We are at the absolute end of the scale when it comes to bike sizing - have the bike shop do a basic fit prior to purchase then go for a proper, professional bike fit after your purchase. 

And as soon as you can, have the rear wheel rebuilt with proper spokes. You will break spokes. I had my rear wheel rebuilt with DT Swiss double butted spokes and have had zero issues afterwards.

11 minutes ago, KB280DT said:

If I can add to this with me being 2.03 and 124kg

We are at the absolute end of the scale when it comes to bike sizing - have the bike shop do a basic fit prior to purchase then go for a proper, professional bike fit after your purchase. 

And as soon as you can, have the rear wheel rebuilt with proper spokes. You will break spokes. I had my rear wheel rebuilt with DT Swiss double butted spokes and have had zero issues afterwards.

This is very good advice!

2 hours ago, Tandemuis said:

62 years and 120kg...you stated that you already have some issues with your knees/joints.

I will suggest that comfort is one aspect you should focus on more than anything else.

Stay away from anything "race" orientated. I take it that you are not planning on finishing any races with a podium finish? This is more a "getting fit and healthy" type bike riding?

Also keep in mind that bikes have a structural weight limit that includes the weight of the bike, rider, waterbottles and any other gear. For example: Some Orbea models have a limit of 130kg, some Trek models have a limit of 136kg, some Specialized models have a limit of 120kg. It is important to note that this weight limit is the rider + the bike + any riding gear.

The weight limit differs between models and frame types for most makes and the above are just examples of certain models.

I suggest you look at a bike with dual suspension with the aim of being comfortable over speed. 100mm travel front and rear as a minimum starting point. With the flip of a switch you can lockout your suspension... you can always turn a full suspension bike into a hard bike, but you cannot turn a hardtail or bike with no suspension into a suspension bike.

Another option...E-bikes. I am not sure how your fitness levels are or endurance. They are a bit heavier, but can carry more weight and they can help you with climbs and long rides if you run out of energy.

The other thing to consider is maintenance. The more stuff you have on a bike and the more complicated things are the more maintenance you need and for more parts of the bike. Make sure you get a bike that can be serviced and maintained by a place close to where you live.

It is a tough choice as the market is flooded with choices and models and it all can be very confusing.

I wish you all the best and hope you find your perfect bike very soon.

Wow, what a good response to a newbie, answering the questions asked.  I am impressed Tandemuis!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you all, fantastic input, Ill mull all over, just a cheaper  fat bike for the beach. Was down the other day and there where a few okes with chilled squirrel/wow ebikes scooting towards yzers, looked nice and easy.