Tacx Antares ... Roller noise

cyclenut

Before I take it all apart I'm hoping someone has experienced (and resolved) this before...

When riding in the centre of the rollers, the rear roller starts to vibrate. More noisy than unstable.

If I ride off the centre (on the quarter line) then it's absolutely silent and stable, even when going flat out on the drops.

The surface is perfectly flat, as well as on a rubber mat, so it's definitely not the floor.  

TIA

My head says it’s probably a bearing, but you can also try a new ‘belt’/oring. My belt starts getting all wobbly at certain RPM’s and as soon as I go faster it stops. So maybe. Ive noticed over the years you need to put the belt on your non forward foot position because when you (have to?)unclip you have a tendency to step on the belt and that cuts it.
Bearings…Take it out the roller and go to a bearing place and ask for a replacement. Will cost you less than a few Randelas.
Terrible vid but is shows the gist of it.

In the 70s to 90s  we only had rollers and rode them more than often on rainy or cold days . A good rubber mat was essential to eliminate vibration or creeping . I remember replacing bearings at least 3 times in the life of my rollers because of vibration at certain speeds and position to one side or the other that would accentuate the vibration . The wear will be on the two rear rollers . Take them out and feel for play either horizontally or side to side  on the shaft  . Replacement is simple but take the bearing # off the side to buy new and buy the best brand . I am a SKF fan for all things bearing 

I had some cheaper rollers similar to Tacx, the roller surface was not round causing vibrations, I held some fine sandpaper on the bumpy section whilst my son rode them, this made a big difference to smoothing the small bumps. The two sets of Tacx rollers I have owned, the rollers were always perfectly round, however, allowing the rollers to fall over I managed to crack two of the rollers, this wrecked them. They make a very loud noise when you ride on the crack.

Thanks all,

Swapped out the bearings - fortunately they're identical to bearings of the Tacx Eco - of which I just happened to have few sets lying around.

ps Happy New Year