Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith Wheelset

Dan4

Good day all

I recently purchased a set of the Ksyrium Pro Exalith wheels. They are very nice wheels but are extremely noisy upon braking, especially when you break hard. Does this get better with time as the brake pads settle in?IMG-20230129-WA0009.jpeg.1cf4de464b5f6e167ab9bd4f108d67dc.jpeg

IMG-20230129-WA0011.jpeg

You need the Mavic pads.  those rims won't handle the heat from a normal pad and will be very noisy.  You will destroy the rims without the exalith pads

Hi Lance

I did get the Mavic pads installed that came with the wheelset. It is branded Mavic on the pads as well as Swisstop is also branded on the pads. 

Also running them, as Lance stated, pads are critical, then the wheel is directional, so make sure the front is rotating the right way(it would be quite difficult to get the back wrong…). Lastly, if after bedding in a bit they still squeal try a bit of toe in on the pads, but should not be necessary. They will of course make a bit whining noise because of the serrated machined breaking surface. But not squeal like a stuck pig. 

As per previous comments, make sure you have the Mavic Exalith pads. Mine took a week or two to bed in before the squeal reduced. The "toe in" on the pads also helps. With the correct pads my Exalith has a slight whining noise when the brake is engaged and the speed approaches zero. Otherwise it is silent.   

Thanks Murrob. I will look at the frontwheel direction tonight.  I have done around 500km on them already and the back wheel is squeals like a pig. Front wheel only occasionally.