Giant Tcr 2013

Brendon On Dad Brown

Hi all. I got myself a TCR 2013 full carbon and it's a L. Yes it's an aggressive feel but what can I reduce the stem from 110mm to bring me more upright. I am 1.65m tall and yes I hear the frame is to big but I got this at a complete give away and don't want to sell it. Not much of a racer more building endurance. Keen to hear your advice 

IMG-20230415-WA0133.jpeg

1.65 would suggest that you should be on a XS/S, certainly not a L.

Shooting from the hip:

S has a TT of 53cm + 9cm = 62cm.

L has a TT of 58cm ... so 4cm stem for equivalent. 

This ignores other frame differences impacting fit.

Edited by Thomo

Hi Brendon 

I am no expert bike fitter but what I have is some experience with a frame that was a bit too big for me. So take my comment with a pinch of salt.

I am 180cm tall and when I started cycling I unknowingly bought a bike with a 57cm top tube and my troubles never seemed to end.  From lower and upper back pain, neck pain, knee pain etc. I reduced the stem and the handling was too unstable. When I played around with saddle height my knees would suffer because the crank was too long. So I sold it as soon as I could afford to buy another bike.

I am a huge Giant fan and through my search for one I have learnt that their frame sizes are quite big. I know the pain of buying a a bike and trying everything to make it work, it can be expensive, disappointing and more importantly lead too a lot of injuries.

My advice, at your height you are better off moving that bike.

Edited by Ncayi

15 hours ago, Brendon On Dad Brown said:

Hi all. I got myself a TCR 2013 full carbon and it's a L. Yes it's an aggressive feel but what can I reduce the stem from 110mm to bring me more upright. I am 1.65m tall and yes I hear the frame is to big but I got this at a complete give away and don't want to sell it. Not much of a racer more building endurance. Keen to hear your advice 

IMG-20230415-WA0133.jpeg

Hey Brendon

It doesn't really matter, but that is a 2003-2004 model. Just so you know... I am still riding mine as a training bike. Stunning bike

One thing that you might try to get it more comfortable, is getting a much shorter stem, at tilt your saddle to a neutral position (as a starting point)  

you can swop the seatpost around +offset and a 90mm stem as a minimum and see how it feels...its not going to look great but you will be able to pedal it.