Motorbike lube experiment

Headshot

https://www.silkolene.com/motorcycle/chain-lubes/titanium-dry-lube/

I bought some of this for my motorbike restoration project and gave it a go on my mtb. Initially I applied it with the chain clean and in a plastic container which led to an over application and a very greasy chain which picked up dirt.  I cleaned most of the lube off and have not had to reapply it in several rides and a wash. Although quite greasy, the lube doesn't cake up with dirt like wax lubes and the derailleur pulleys and chainring have remained surprisingly clean. The biggest advantage I have found is the shifting and quietness of my drivetrain which is much better than with Smoove or other wax lubes. So far it seems to be the best of both worlds. 

The cost of a 500ml can is R195 which makes bicycle wax lubes look rather pricey.

Anyone else tried moto products on their bicycles?

8 minutes ago, Headshot said:

https://www.silkolene.com/motorcycle/chain-lubes/titanium-dry-lube/

I bought some of this for my motorbike restoration project and gave it a go on my mtb. Initially I applied it with the chain clean and in a plastic container which led to an over application and a very greasy chain which picked up dirt.  I cleaned most of the lube off and have not had to reapply it in several rides and a wash. Although quite greasy, the lube doesn't cake up with dirt like wax lubes and the derailleur pulleys and chainring have remained surprisingly clean. The biggest advantage I have found is the shifting and quietness of my drivetrain which is much better than with Smoove or other wax lubes. So far it seems to be the best of both worlds. 

The cost of a 500ml can is R195 which makes bicycle wax lubes look rather pricey.

Anyone else tried moto products on their bicycles?

this crossed my mind too - seems it feels just as sticky as a brand-new chain out of the wrapper. I was worried it'd be a grit magnet. I recall the GCN tech guy wanting to know what new chains were lubed with... perhaps this is the silver bullet?

Been using motorcycle wax lube for a couple of years now. Apply, Let it settle. Wipe down. Last for a really long time. Runs nice and quiet. And shifting performance is good. Rain does not wash it off and it is not a grit magnet. And you're right. Makes cycling specific lube look stupid expensive.

8 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

this crossed my mind too - seems it feels just as sticky as a brand-new chain out of the wrapper. I was worried it'd be a grit magnet. I recall the GCN tech guy wanting to know what new chains were lubed with... perhaps this is the silver bullet?

The stuff I have isn't quite as sticky as new chain grease I don't think. My concern is that it attracts more dirt and will wear the chain prematurely so time will tell.