Customs duties: bicycle lights?

goatman

Aramex just calculated 45% customs duties on 3 bicycle lights I imported via China. They incorrectly labelled them as "car lights" which may be the reason for the excessive duties? The commercial invoice clearly shows that these are bicycle lights, so they should attract around 15% customs duties (more or less) I have imported the same lights before and customs was either zero (amount under R500) or around 15% of total invoice amount.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I've raised the issue with Aramex customer service.

Using the Aramex Global Shopper service can be an intensely frustrating experience, these lights were initially declared as "unacceptable/prohibited items" in Hong Kong even though they are not on the Aramex prohibited items list! No batteries included either. After raising this issue with a customer service consultant they were suddenly shipped, no explanation given.

I'm over Aramex Global Shopper.

I've unfortunately had the same experience. Aramex is proof that you can get away running a company in the most terrible fashion imaginable and stay in business for years. Tons of negative reviews, customer complains, online writeups etc do nothing to help. Hopefully you hear something back from them. 

If you know what the correct duties are you can contest the calculation and they will normally fix it. The best is to supply them with the actual customs code for the item.

Had a similar issue recently, where a set of bicycle rims were calculated as car rims, queried and provided correct amount for duties, to no avail whatsoever. 

Sent an email to the global helpline, no response either. 

Aramex SA has disappeared down the drain. 

Aramex recalculated the customs duties after I emailed the relevant person with the correct customs code.

Edited by goatman