The Titan Racing Cerberus puts the fun back in hardtails

News bot

On 2/21/2024 at 7:04 PM, Ruben Hechter said:

Is anyone familiar with the hubs on the bike (expert model).

Formula 511 front hub and Formula 3248 rear hub.

Is it sealed bearing hubs? Can you get a microspline freehub for this hub?

Those hubs are ball bearing front and rear has 2 sealed bearings, and yes you would get a micro-spline freebody for them as an option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 4:43 PM, JohanMalan said:

I think the HTA is slack enough, not a fan of the super slack trend. 2.6 tyres and a dropper post and you're sorted. As long as the chainstays are robust enough.

They're plenty tough! 👍

On 2/25/2024 at 6:00 PM, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Those hubs are ball bearing front and rear has 2 sealed bearings, and yes you would get a micro-spline freebody for them as an option.

Why would you put ball bearing hubs on a trail hardtail bike?(Paying R33 000 for the top spec)

• 3 weeks later...

Will the Cerberus work for long days in the saddle, mainly jeep track, etc. In other words: Will it be a more comfortable option for easy XC riding than the Drone? Or is the Cerberus squarely in the trail bike category? 

@Titan Racing Bikes

Edited by gerriemtb

On 3/5/2024 at 4:40 PM, Crazy Cyclist said:

Why would you put ball bearing hubs on a trail hardtail bike?(Paying R33 000 for the top spec)

cup and cone bearings have advantages over sealed bearings. And some disadvantages, too of course.

One big plus is the ability to DIY service with minimal tools on a long weekend ahead of a long ride. Properly set up, they are a delight and remember, Shimano only recently stopped using them on Dura-Ace. Granted, the TR bearings you note probably aren't Dura-Ace quality, but still, not terrible. Well maintained, they can be flawless.

FWIW, my 25 year old XTR SPDs are cup and cone, and they've never been serviced and are still smooth.

3 hours ago, gerriemtb said:

Will the Cerberus work for long days in the saddle, mainly jeep track, etc. In other words: Will it be a more comfortable option for easy XC riding than the Drone? Or is the Cerberus squarely in the trail bike category? 

@Titan Racing Bikes

It will work for long days in the saddle and dare we say that the slightly more upright riding position, wider tyres and increase in travel will make it easier on the body. If you're out to smash PR's and attack Strava segments, a race-orientated hardtail would make more sense, for quite a bit else, this is the one to go for. 

1 hour ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

It will work for long days in the saddle and dare we say that the slightly more upright riding position, wider tyres and increase in travel will make it easier on the body. If you're out to smash PR's and attack Strava segments, a race-orientated hardtail would make more sense, for quite a bit else, this is the one to go for. 

Awesome, thanks

4 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

cup and cone bearings have advantages over sealed bearings. And some disadvantages, too of course.

One big plus is the ability to DIY service with minimal tools on a long weekend ahead of a long ride. Properly set up, they are a delight and remember, Shimano only recently stopped using them on Dura-Ace. Granted, the TR bearings you note probably aren't Dura-Ace quality, but still, not terrible. Well maintained, they can be flawless.

FWIW, my 25 year old XTR SPDs are cup and cone, and they've never been serviced and are still smooth.

I've spent some time on one and would pick it every day of the week over a traditional hardtail. It is a lot of fun on single track, great up climbs and when you're just pedalling along it definitely feels like a more comfortable seating position. 

Factor in that i don't ride to win anything, but for fun. For the pure enjoyment of riding a bike. 

On 2/25/2024 at 6:00 PM, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Not at the moment, no.

Not that I would like to compete with a "design team" but it would've been nice to put my spin on it.