Sprint Triathlon newbie

NDM

Hi everyone, I'm in dire need of advice please.

I'm going to be doing my very first sprint triathlon (20km cycle leg) in a few months time. I currently do not own a bike.

I have a R5k budget to buy a bicycle to train with and use on race day. I realize that it is not a lot of money, but I'm not yet sure whether I'll be seriously getting into this as a sport or not. Additionally I'll still have to buy the ancillary biking equipment eg: helmet, bike rack, water bottle cages, etc.....

As a result my current thinking is to just get an entry level hardtail mountain bike (29 inch wheels) and just use that, stock standard? I've found the following bike advertised: https://cwcycles.co.za/product/1018157-bike-mtb-ht-alu-avalanche-reflex-2.

• Is this a worthwhile buy for my needs?
  • If I don't take to the sport, then I just have a cheap bike for recreational use?
  • If I do, then I'll just resell and spend a bit more?

I'm very cautious about buying second hand, as I know next to nothing about bikes and wouldn't be able to tell if I'm buying a dud or not.

I'm 1,7m tall and weigh 80kg.

Am I setting myself up for failure? All advice welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Unless you are doing xterra triathlon (off road), look at getting a road bike.  It will be more for your money and quicker in the race.  Then if you do take to the sport of triathlon, you will already have a road bike and not have to sell a MTB to get a road bike,

As for bike rack, if your car can fold down the back seats, just put it in the boot and save money.

Good luck with your training and don't over think things, be comfortable you can swim, bike and run the distances, so have confidence in yourself on race day.

Edited by shaper

You're better off buying a 2nd hand road bike than mtb. Mtbs need more maintenance and the possibility of buying something with worn out parts is higher.

Where are you based? Here's an example of a R4k option which you could probably pick-up for R3700. Think you'll need a size M at 1.70 but someone closer to your height will need to confirm!

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/703557/raleigh-rc7000

On 3/17/2024 at 3:47 PM, NDM said:

go for the decathlon bike, especially at that price. good warranty, and if you are in gauteng, the stores will help you out well
this video covers all you need to know about it. don't worry about the derailleur hanger issue, its only a problem if you crash it badly right at the back

11 hours ago, RossTopher said:

go for the decathlon bike, especially at that price. good warranty, and if you are in gauteng, the stores will help you out well
this video covers all you need to know about it. don't worry about the derailleur hanger issue, its only a problem if you crash it badly right at the back

My partner and I, along with with 3 other mates from South Africa bought these exact Triban 120 bikes in Bari, Italy and rode them all the way up to Venice which was approx. 1000km and there were no bike issues at all and only one puncture between us. We then sold them quickly on Facebook marketplace in Venice. We will probably buy the same bikes again from Decathlon in Joberg.