Mtn bike conversion to gravel bike

Hi guys

Im thinking of converting my mtn bike to gravel bike. i know my shifters and rear derailleur would need to be changed… any advice? costing etc?

11 hours ago, Francois VAN NIEKERK said:

Hi guys

Im thinking of converting my mtn bike to gravel bike. i know my shifters and rear derailleur would need to be changed… any advice? costing etc?

there are multiple threads on this if you have a search. Bottom line is as follows.

You can get no name rigid forks easily enough.

If you want to go to a gravel handlebar then you need different shifter/brake levers/derailleur  and that is where your major costs come in.  A lot cut their straight bars down narrower, put some gravel tyres on and adjust the gear ratios and ride like that.

Like Dave said. Many threads on this. 

I have done it. Nice little project. Bike is now on the trainer full time.

For me, one key question. If you are happy with mechanical disc brakes, go for it. 
If you want hydraulic disc brakes, forget it. Buy a proper gravel bike if you want/need one.

Edited by Koos Likkewaan 2

11 hours ago, Francois VAN NIEKERK said:

Hi guys

Hi Francois,

Could you perhaps tell us more about the bike you are hoping to use as a platform for this project?

Cheers

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

Hi Francois,

Could you perhaps tell us more about the bike you are hoping to use as a platform for this project?

Cheers

ive got a Merida big nine 300 which is about 3 months old… its got disc brakes

1 hour ago, Francois VAN NIEKERK said:

ive got a Merida big nine 300 which is about 3 months old… its got disc brakes

Thx,

I have to agree with Koos Likkewaan on the potential cost of a conversion. You must make a few decisions:

1) Do you want to keep the current gearing since this will determine what shifters you will require. Rear derailleurs are pretty generic ito MTB vs Road application. Front mech's for MTB are different pull ratios to those on road bikes, hence you might have to change your FD, else you must convert to a 1x system and do away with FD. 

2)Brakes: If you prefer to stick with hydraulics, your STI shifters will cost a lot of moolah, else convert to cable disc at a cost as well.

3)Fork: Do you wish to keep the suspension or go rigid?

Without belaboring this topic, you have to make a few calls on what you are prepared to spend. It is not always worth the money, but a gravel build is a cool project. I did a build on a very old MTB steel frame, hence my challenges were different to yours.

Good luck