Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate - Noise after service

440MTB

Howzit people of the palace... trust you're all well.

So I recently had a bit of an issue with my Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate (RC2.1), the CSU had a clacking/creaking noise under heavy front braking/when landing jumps, turned out it was the stanchions.

Thankfully my Local Bike shop is able to press out the steerer & Stanchions from the CSU and fix this (done this before on a previous bikes Fox 34 Performance Elite with great results).

So long story short, they did the work and also a 50 hour (lower leg service) while the fork was apart, collected the fork and noticed there was a strange squeaky noise coming from the air spring side (left side) of the fork in the first few mm of travel (see video below).

Before I installed the fork on my bike, I sent the video to the bike shop, the mechanic that does all the suspension work phoned me and assured me it's only due to the fresh oil and sram butter, it'll settle down.

I then went for a quick 1 hour ride at Bloemendal, put the fork through its paces (drops, jumps, gaps, rock gardens, etc). Fork feels 100%, and doesn't have any issues other than this noise in the first few mm of travel (slow or fast compressions, same sound).

I noticed after the ride, the sound is still 100% the same, so I ended up taking the fork back to the shop the next day, and the suspension mechanic and owner of the shop both looked at the fork, and said it's normal (oil & sram butter), but I'm not comfortable with this - the fork didn't have this sound before (albeit this is the first service since I bought the fork from a mate), so not sure what to think at this stage... obviously I don't want to risk riding the fork like this and damage it ending up with expensive repairs/damage to the fork.

I have also DM'd the vid to @droo on IG, but haven't received a response yet, so thought I'd get your input here as well, before I phone the shop again.

Link to video:

https://imgur.com/zOTjRpt

Edited by 440MTB

That noise sounds like the air spring equalising, but it does sound quite a lot louder than normal - I'd need to strip the air spring to see what the issue could be though.

Thanks for the feedback @droo & @thebob

Just to be clear here: I'm not saying the shop is wrong with their diagnosis/recommendation, I actually hold them in high regard as a lot of friends I ride with take their bikes and equipment there (as have I for the last few years)... I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion, as I don't want to risk damaging anything.

The other thing is, the fork feels 100% when riding... I just imagined the equalizing/settling would've been done after an hour+ of riding features like rock gardens, drops, jumps, gaps, etc.

I'll install the fork and go for a longer ride as soon as the weather permits, and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Edited by 440MTB

My forks and shocks (Rockshox and Fox) are always making equalising noises when they reach the sag point. I'd be worried if they were noisy and not feeling great

1 hour ago, thebob said:

My forks and shocks (Rockshox and Fox) are always making equalising noises when they reach the sag point. I'd be worried if they were noisy and not feeling great

Thanks man - Just never heard this before (but it's the first time I'm servicing this fork since buying it from my friend).

The fork does feel 100% though and feels super plush and smooth after the service and handled everything fine during the initial ride.

Maybe another question for yourself (and possibly for @droo) - Does this sound go away usually after a few hours of riding - if so roughly how many? As I'd like to keep an eye/ear on it and rather have the fork checked out if it doesn't go away?

Edited by 440MTB

My suspension always makes this noise. Don't worry about it. Just stick to the service intervals for it and your shock and you'll be fine