Sram Red etap front derailleur Help Please

W@nted

Hi. So I managed to strip the high limit (grub) screw on my 11 speed sram etap front derailleur. 😔 The screw was/is stuck and would not budge at all. 

Is my only bet to drill it out? It is stuck in such a position where I cannot grip it at all. Second hand replacement derailleurs are selling for 300 euros, which is a lot of money for a stripped grub screw.

Edited by W@nted

A grub screw extractor will save you. I have a set of Grabits, sadly no longer available, that will sort that out in seconds. It's got a burnishing tool on one and and an extractor on the other.

If anyone after me on this thread has found a tool that works as well, please let me know cos I'm dreading the day that they wear out.

16 minutes ago, droo said:

A grub screw extractor will save you. I have a set of Grabits, sadly no longer available, that will sort that out in seconds. It's got a burnishing tool on one and and an extractor on the other.

If anyone after me on this thread has found a tool that works as well, please let me know cos I'm dreading the day that they wear out.

Thanks, will they work on this left (reverse) threaded limit screw?

You could probably get that out with a machined down bolt. But I'd suggest taking it to a machinist, you don't get too many chances at these things before they get proper FUBAR. 

I know a very good one in CT, but Secunda no doubt has some pretty experienced machinists and fitters who could sort this out for you.

I had this happen on a fairly new front derailleur, fortunately they replaced it under warranty. That in itself tells me it not a easy fix, but would think that in the right hands it could be saved.