Transporting a Bike internationally

Brendan Swarts

I am going on holiday to London. I was planning on purchasing a second hand bike there from a private sale and not from a bike store and then flying back to South Africa with the bike as checked luggage. Does anybody know the customs duty percentage or duties payable/ tax implications?

2 hours ago, Brendan Swarts said:

I am going on holiday to London. I was planning on purchasing a second hand bike there from a private sale and not from a bike store and then flying back to South Africa with the bike as checked luggage. Does anybody know the customs duty percentage or duties payable/ tax implications?

You shouldn’t have any bother with anything of that nature. If they are pesky and want to check it out show them it’s a used bike and tell them it’s yours. I’ve never been stopped on multiple international flights with bikes. 

1 hour ago, Scott roy said:

You shouldn’t have any bother with anything of that nature. If they are pesky and want to check it out show them it’s a used bike and tell them it’s yours. I’ve never been stopped on multiple international flights with bikes. 

Thanks for the input Scott. Did you travel with a proper bike box or cardboard one? And where were you travelling from?

5 hours ago, Brendan Swarts said:

Thanks for the input Scott. Did you travel with a proper bike box or cardboard one? And where were you travelling from?

If you don't intend flying with your bike again, then go for a cardboard box, most bike shops will give you one. Just make sure to use plenty of padding around the frame and re-enforce the corners of the box with lots of duct tape. Pedals and bar off, seatpost dropped and tyres deflated. Secure everything well so nothing can rattle and chafe.

2 hours ago, capediver said:

If you don't intend flying with your bike again, then go for a cardboard box, most bike shops will give you one. Just make sure to use plenty of padding around the frame and re-enforce the corners of the box with lots of duct tape. Pedals and bar off, seatpost dropped and tyres deflated. Secure everything well so nothing can rattle and chafe.

Definitely this

8 hours ago, Brendan Swarts said:

A travel case, I’ve only done national with a cardboard one. I have however flown with a friend of mine using a cardboard box and that was fine except having to open to prove he wasn’t bringing in a brand new bike. I’ve flown bikes back and forwards from jhb to Eastern Europe a couple times and Tanzania once (surprisingly there most nosey bunch about the bike) 

I’ve walked through “nothing to declare”with a golf bag with three sets of irons in it from the states.. only went with one set.. 

confidence is key🤣🤣

I declared a set of racing car suspension  brakes and springs…. They never said anything, they thought I was a mechanic! Move along boss. Confidence is Key. 🤭