Stem Length

Flea

I was looking at installing a longer stem on my MTB - currently 90mm, with one about 105mm.

On the weekend I read an old MTB review in mbr magaxine (the UK MTB magazine), and they were reviewing a MTB with a stem of 100mm and their comment was that no MTB should have such a long stem!!! Their reason is that you would be too far forward on the downhills.

Any comments, experiences?

That is a loaf of hog wash.

MBR like to set their bikes up as pseudo DH/FR bikes. They don;t seeem to care what bike it is, CX, Marathon, Trail, FR, Enduro, they want short stems and seem to gloss over the rest of the bikes geometry that works with stem length.

Too far forward on a XC bike is not a bad thing and as long as your centre of gravity is not too far forward, stem length will affect steering long before you go over the handlebars.

I ride a 110mm stem on my bike. I know guys with 120mm and 130mm stems too. They don't seem to go over the bars either..

I agree with GoLefty on that.  Besides most MTB's come standard with stems of 100mm or longer.

Good to hear. I have never played with the geometry of my bikes, but feel that I need a bit more room on my hardtail - most comfortable on the barends. so will try a 100 or 105