Rigid carbon fork on MTB

quickdraw

Hi

Does anybody here use a rigid carbon fork on their MTB - 26". How drastic a change is this to having a suspension fork esp on the singletrack (roots and rocks).

Also would fitting a rigid fork and a 29" front wheel to my Fisher put the geometry way off?

Are there any benfits or is this just a niche thing

Big benefits to going 29er, but putting a 29er wheel on a 26 specific frame might affect the handling a little.

There were justifiable complaints about the handling of 29ers when companies started making them years ago. And that refers to frames that had the geometry adjusted.

My point is that it took a while for companies to really get 29er geo dialled. Throwing a big wheel on a 26er frame could leave you with messy handling.

Switching to rigid from a suspension fork is quite a change. I'm not quite sure how my kidneys lasted through the first couple years of non-suspended riding. Only really realised what I did to them when I started riding a rigid again recently. Only occasionally though.

I haven't really done any research into it, but just thought that the rigid fork would, geometry wise, offset the bigger wheel (not sure if what I am saying makes sense).

What you are saying does make sense except for the fact that Rigid 29'er forks are generally suspension corrected.

Don't ride a rigid if you're planning to use it off road, it's a cute gimick, kinda like a unicycle.

On One Carbon Mountain Bike Forks

Also tested and used a lot buy the guys at http://www.twentynineinches.com

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

20080905_084633_on-onesuperligh.jpg

Do a Google, these are designed with the correct offset etc. There are some out there that don't have the correct offset, especially 29er versions where a lot of companies just lengthen the stanchions. Ours are still comming, PM for more!!!
Kiwi2008-09-09 07:45:53

What you are saying does make sense except for the fact that Rigid 29'er forks are generally suspension corrected.

I was about to say the same thing. However, I guess it might be possible to fit a 29er wheel in a 26er rigid fork that is suspension corrected. Depends if the design of the crown will allow it. You'd probably have to check to make sure.

Perhaps Kiwi can do this since he's bringing in all that On-One stuff...?

There should be enough space. Not sure how it will effect the handling as you'd still be lifting the front by 1.5inches.

Trek are doing the whole 69er thing (26 rear 29 front) there is a review of one of their race rigs on cyclingnews.com somewhere...

Kiwi, it's not the offset that's an issue, it's the suspension correction that is.

Mints, you may be onto something, it'll depend on the uppe tyre clearance, it's still gonna mess with the handling though.

Just get a bloody 29'er and be done with it!

I bought a rigid fork for my MTB. LOVE IT. Doesn't really matter how bad the course is, if you have above average handling skills you'll be fine. I do however only recommend it for marathons and enduros, not XC racing in which you'll need a little more comfort. I use it for all enduros, and people with front shocks arn't that much faster than me on the downhills.

I'm actually considering selling my fork for around R500, to get an even nicer rigid.

Oh, most decent rigid forks for MTB are suspension corrected, meaning (duh), it keeps the handlebars in the same position as if you had a suspension fork fitted.

Ok, probably leaving it a 26"

Does suspension corrected mean that it is corrected for a frame that is actually meant for 29" wheels - so the head angle would still be pretty much out of kilter Confused

Sorry I posted this before I realised that this is what you all have been saying Embarrassed

So essentially I could retrofit a 29er fork by shortening the "stancions"?
quickdraw2008-09-09 09:51:47

Suspension corrected means a rigid fork is the same length as a suspension fork when it could be made shorter and still accomodate the wheel. this is because suspension forks need to be taller to allow room for the suspension movement.

Why would you want to shorten a 29er fork's stanchions...?

I figure that if I shorten the stanchions, it would lower the headtube of a 26" wheel bike and bring the angle closer to the "correct" one for the frame - if I fit a 29"front wheel.

Just thinking.

Everybody - forget you read this post Ouch

That's brave. However, a 29er wheel in a shorter 26er fork would still be too high. No point in starting with a 29er fork. Check the exact measurments and then start with a 26er, allthough you'd likely still not get the correct geometry.

Also, fiddling with a carbon fork is risky. If you wanted to use your existing frame, rather contact someone like Vicious Cycles in the USA and get a quote from them to build you a custom steel fork to the exact measurements. They would do all the math for you. Much safer.

It won't be as light and will probably cost the same as a carbon fork or a little more, but it's a much safer bet.

Thanks man, but it is probably not gonna happen. Just had one of those crazy days at the office and had the brain working overtime - anything to get the mind off work Big%20smile