Shin splints

Rhodent

Hey guys,

I'm a triathlete, and have been battling with shinsplints recenty. i'v looked at everything i could regarding my running, and cant pin down a cause. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me whether my cycling shoes could be affecting me at all?

i am in need of a new pair, very little support left in the ones i have. Could this be a possible cause?

I'm no medical professional, but have had my far share of shin splints - this is probably repeating exactly what you already know, so my apologies.....

Shin splints come in two types

- minuet stress fractures of the shin bone, typically caused by overuse / repeated pounding on hard surfaces (running Cry)

- the muscle attached to the shin bone actually starting to separate from the bone, again due to repeated pounding, causing the muscle to inflame and come away (overly simple none medical explanation)...... Angry

Both are related to overuse, one specifically questioning the foot strike position / running mechanics, and possibly suggesting a muscular imbalance / alignment problem.

Either one of these can take a fair while to recover from.....

Do you wear orthotic insoles in your running shoes / have you had gait analysis?

I'd say that it is unlikely that your cycling shoes have caused this (assuming your bike set up is not extremely out) and would recommend a trip to somewhere like the sports science centre for a proper assessment

PPWTF2008-10-14 09:23:40

I'm not sure if it can be cycling related, but what I do know is that having the correct shoes for your feet is very important.  I was playing action cricket which involves running on a hard surface 5 times a week and had days when I couldn't walk due to shin splints.  I then got a new pair of shoes and since then haven't had any problems.

i cant pinpoint a cause but can give you an exercise to do while sitting down to prevent shin splints in the future

all that you do is when in seated position you have your legs at 90 degrees and tap your foot for ten minutes be aware that overextension will do more harm so basically it is just till you feel your shins start to hurt

when you feel lik eyou can go further with the lifting try putting a weight on your foot starting with a can of beans or whatever you find in the cupboards avoid lquids in cans as they will move the can around too much

if you do this for at least ten minutes a day on each foot you should be rid of shin splints for life!!!!

trust me i got this from a sports scientist!!!!

It isn't from cycling, but from running.

You don't want to hear this but unfortunately you have to avoid the cause for a while.

It is the leg version of tennis elbow and a condition that cannot be cured medically. The latest treatment (depending on who in Jhb you consult) is to draw blood, spin off the stem cells in a centrifuge and inject it directly into the tendon. It costs a bomb and doesn't work. Hocus pocus.

Don't believe the anti-inflamatory story either. There may be some inflamation there but the inflamation isn't the problem, it is like Turtlek says - a mechanical problem.

If it really hurts, get a doctor to inject a painkiller directly into the tendon. You'll enjoy instant relief for 12 hours but will not be cured. Those 12 hours are sometimes worth it.

Hi.

Agree with all who posted already. Shin splints are an impact injury and should not be cycling related.

You are more than likely a heavy heel-striker when running. If your shoes are getting on, the cushioning is probably not as good as it was. Shoes nowadays don't last for more than a couple of months at moderate mileage levels.

Another aggravating circumstance could be that you have shoes which are for pronators with harder arch supports and different devices to stop the foot from rotating inwards. These can minimize the cushioning aspects of the shoe as well.

Unless you are an excessive pronator (we all pronate to some extent and it is perfectly natural) you don't need all of that and should rather just look at a shoe that is well cushioned in the heel.

In the meantime the best treatment is icing post run and try to run on soft surfaces like grass. I have also found that anti-inflammatory patches like Transact offer some relief but time and vasbyt is generally the only cure.

Oh and of course, the shoes.

In the meantime you could concentrate on the other discicplines of the triathlon while cutting down on the running but hopefully not completely eliminating it.

Good luck.

i am in need of a new pair' date=' very little support left in the ones i have. Could this be a possible cause?
[/quote']

Was definitly the problem when I had it a couple of years ago. Get a new pair. The only problem is that shin splint would not go away quickly, even with a new pair. It took about 2 months for mine to clear up completely, so be patient.

There is some streatches you can do, like on your knees, with your feet flat on the ground, streatching the front part of your shin.

Good luck.

shin splints, is a layman's term for pains in the legs, or microscopic bone fractures.

This is an overuse injury.

YOu probably increased your running very quickly.  (Ignoring the 10% a week rule).  Very bad boy.  This rule of thumb is even more important because as a cyclist, your bone mass is less than you think, making you prone to injury.

Only solution 3 weeks off from running.  Return to day one of Tim Noekes marathon plan (ie no running only walking for ten weeks).

Kiss your 2009 triathlon season good bye

The shin splints are definitely from running and not cycling.

I had them once form running and was one of the reasons I changed to cycling.

The only real cure for them is rest. (Yes, that dreaded four letter word that is worseto any athlete than any other.)

Rest boet, Rest. (NowI shall go and wash my mouth with soap.

The shin splints are definitely from running and not cycling.

I had them once form running and was one of the reasons I changed to cycling.

The only real cure for them is rest. (Yes' date=' that dreaded four letter word that is worseto any athlete than any other.)

Rest boet, Rest. (NowI shall go and wash my mouth with soap.
[/quote']

slave don't you have a frame to bend??WinkLOL

You CAN actually get shin splints cycling from two causes that I can personally vouch for. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. Pronation, if your foot rolls or pronates when you are cycling you are doing a similar thing to when you are running.

2. If the sole of your cycling shoe can flex to much it can lead to shin splints as well.

Both pull on the tendon that runs down the inside of your shin and the result is the same as a running shin splint.

Google for pronation exercises for the muscles under the foot. Over time you can strengthen these muscles and reduce pronation and the possibility of getting shin splints.

The best guy I know of to see is: Vernon Lever ( a cyclist) at

Foot & Biomechanical Centre

Lever Amler

Foot & Biomechanical Centre
19 Bradford Road
Bedfordview

Tel: 011 - 622-4680/1
Fax: 011 - 616-3510

Kiwi2008-10-15 03:58:14

solution,

buy yourself new carbon soled cycling shoes, throw in a set of ascic running shoes and then sit around the house moping for three weeks.

In that way your wife will love you lotttttsssssssss